Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New augers are crap! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 02-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Iceperchman

Default New augers are crap!

My friend has an old Jiffy auger that can drill 1 and 1/2 holes to my one. It starts on the first pull and he has the pump primer. Also known as the widow-maker, this auger is exceptional. My stealth takes three pulls to start and when I brought it in they said the carborator can't be adjusted. I know of two other augers that are from the 80's and are better than mine. Oh, he bought it for 30 bucks, that really ticks me off. If anyone has an older auger for sale I'll buy it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Nightie

Default RE: New augers are crap!

I was as stubborn as could be about changing augers too. I own a 20 year old Jiffy 9" er and it always starts and cuts good. The blade if it got nicked you could us a file and stone to sharpen it. Just loved it...TILL... I used one of the new style Strikemaster Laser augers with the neat and cool.. blades. This thing started 1 pull. OK no-more than 3 pulls. Nice and lite and man does this thing cut.
You can be stubborn and stick with your old stuff. Or you can spend the money and upgrade. I've always been a Jiffy fan. Try one of the new style Strikemaster and you will be pleasantly surprised.
Make sure the gas is mixed right on that new jiffy. I noticed that on those augers... both kinds if it isn't mixed right your S.O.L.
That old thing ran on Cow SH#T. Didn't matter about the gas.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

That's why I love my little old Jiffy 76. It has served me well for 17 years. Best of all I can still get blades for it an other parts if I need to.

If there is one thing modern technology has improved, it's the hand auger. A buddy of mine has a 7" auger that just flys through holes. I don't remember the brand but it sure is nice.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Nightie

It is probably the Laser hand auger ... the same blades are on the motorized one.
I have one of those for first ice in the 6' size. One complaint is if you or you fish with somebody who isn't cautious about take care of things you are screwed. Those blades get one little nick on your done. No more holes. Works like a bad razor Horse Sh#t.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a personal problem because my 2 hp Stealth is a friggin monster. Its puts my old model 30 to shame.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

When I do get a new one, and I will :) , it will weigh about 20 pounds. My 8" Jiffy mod 30 works great, runs great, but it is just too heavy except when I drive truck out. It does cut better, stronger and faster than my bud's Lazer, but man do my arms get tired...

Nils or Strikelite for me next time, I think. Even at those prices.
-Box
Old 02-08-2008, 07:36 PM

What size and model of stealth do you have?

I have a three year old Jiffy stealth 3 hp 10 inch and it is the best performing ice shaving monster I've ever seen or used. Do the newer stealth models not have a pump primer bulb? Mine does.

I've found with mine it doesn't perform quite as well until it's warmed up. Once it's warmed up it starts on the first pull and cuts like a demon everytime.

A couple of things to try:

Start the auger up and let it run a little bit before you take off.
This is a good idea for any brand of auger.

I've found when I'm in a hurry I can cheat that warm up process by starting the auger initially with full choke, move to half choke once started, and then give her about a half prime and let it rip. Do this on the first two holes you cut and from there she's warmed up and ready to make swiss cheese. Go to no choke from there.

Hopefully, you can figure out what it takes to make it run better. Once you do, I think you'll be very happy with its performance, and I doubt anyone with the same sized bit will cutting holes faster than you.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Wallhanger

now i feel cheated...i paid 100 bucks for my used jiffy auger about 5 yrs ago and it has never malfunctioned!...sounds like i paid too much for a good thing....steve....maybe footdoc will help console me by inviting me to share some of those gills he's catchin...i need a picker-upper as all i ever do is work
Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Iceperchman

This weekend the trottle froze up on me. I don't have a primer bulb...wish i did. Just a cheap little plastic choke. It starts and runs fine after three pulls...Just a matter of keeping it running. Idles very low. I will say that it is awesome on gas. I fish a ton, and have a hard time going through a gallon of gas a month. It is faster than my buddies strikemaster. Iprobably need to but an auger cover to keep it dry. Loves to freeze up.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:43 AM
reeds

Reeds has all of their augers on sale. Can get a lazer mag for $319 or a 2 hp stealth for $360 or the new stx pro for $390(which is a sweet auger by the way).