Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tips for pulling boards around other boats - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Tips for pulling boards around other boats

Paying attention (keeping a forward watch) is of primary inportance. Most problems come up when one or both parties simply don't see the other boat in time.

Indentifying a potential tight spot well ahead of being trapped in it, is the secret. At a distance of 150 or 200 yds, by far the best & easiest way to avoid a situation is to point you boat, at the rear of the converging vessel. This lets him pass infront of you with plenty of seperation.

It's always a good idea, to make your manuever in such a way that your intentions are obvious, and if there is any room for confusion, I make it extra clear by giving a hand signal (simply pointing the way I intend to go). The radio is an option but all envolved parties must be on the same channel.

Most small boats usually troll downwind, but the bigger boats have spent big bucks on autopilots and can go any direction they want. If you are in a small boat trolling upwind, in my opinion, it behooves you to get out of everyones way (you are the odd man out).

Larger charters with 16 lines out, don't pull lines and run upwind. And it is usually the big boats that attract the small boats, so on a first come first serve basis, it seems somewhat appropriate for the smaller boats to attempt to avoid situations. In addition the smaller boats are simply more manueverable, and while there is nothing official about this, other than all parties are responsible to do all they can to avoid a collision, again it seems to fall to the smaller boats to do the manuevering.

I fish in big boats and smaller boats, but I spend about 10 or 12 days in a small boat for every 1 day in a big boat, and I get a feel of the situation from both sides.

I'm not taking a hollier than thou position here, I'm just ofering some tips, that have made things easier for me. I hope it helps, and be safe.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 AM
amaier

Default RE: Tips for pulling boards around other boats

ETT,

Good post. Treat the guy in the next boat like he is your best friend and most will return the favor. Makes fishing much more enjoyable.

Al
Old 04-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

exactly.

I remember the days when it was customary to wave hello to anyone you would pass by on the water. everyone would gave back.

Nowadays, whan I do that a lot of them look at you like you did something wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Many conflicts could also be avoided if folks were more willing to kick the boat into neutral when converging. People seem to have a mental block or maybe they think things will tangle? I don't know but if you're trolling downwind at all, aren't using weighted line that's close to bottom (most people don't) for heaven's sake, HIT NEUTRAL!!! Let the thing coast to a dead stop if necessary. It really, honestly doesn't hurt a thing. And I saved the best for last . . . you'll catch more fish!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Minnow

Good post eye4aneye. Couldnt agree with you more expecialy the best part. Man!!! is that fun when a hog hits and there almost stoped!!!

THERE'S ONE!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Minnow

westwind great post being on a crowded body of water like erie we all have to manuvere around each other.and enjoy the fruits of mother nature.and enjoy what we came to enjoy.there is nothing worse than driving home from erie.peed off. westwind //////
Old 04-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Minnow

thanks for the post,,,its helpfull and good comin sense
Old 04-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Seedtree

Thank you.

This reminds me of why I fish where I fish.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:02 AM
Wallhanger

Its amazing how big Erie is and how close some boats get to each other. It doesnt take long not paying attention for another boat to be right next door and it gets sticky quick. If you are in the right of way or not swallow the pride and work with the other guy to avoid a bad situation. Its alot easier to slow down or change course than try to untangle 8 lines!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:24 AM
fishin musician 2

I'm the courtous S.O.B. that always tries to be the first one that moves out of the way. Perchjerker....I'll be the first one to wave out there!

Closed Thread