Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best way to store raingear in the boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Wallhanger

Default Best way to store raingear in the boat

Well, after spending more money on our boat back in April than we spent on our first home (not quite as bad as it sounds, since I'm old!) I thought maybe we'd be done trying to get in the poorhouse but it seems I/we keep buying, what I think, are good investments.

I picked up a set of guidewear raingear a few weeks back and I'm just not sure what is the best way to store it in the boat? Right now I have it folded up under the rear jump seat, but I wonder if it would be better to have it in some kind of breathable bag, or even have it hanging on a hanger, but then I risk the chance of forgetting it on each trip, plus it seems like we already have enough crap to load!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bogey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Wallhanger

I store mine in an Avery Blind Bag along with my maps, spare batteries, gloves, etc and take it in and out of the boat with other stuff. The bag fits nicely in one of the holds under the deck, and I can use the bag in the waterfowl season as well, since it's Camo. The bag also floats in the event it does go over the side.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:57 PM
Wallhanger

So there are pro's & cons to both. The reality is even if your storage area is 100% dry (like a Ranger) keeping Rain gear folded up will over time expedite its demise. Leaving the jacket out and storing it only when in use is really the best plan to make sure you ge the most bang for your buck. I use Simm's rain gear and I keep it out of my boat execept when in use. I do keep an old Rain jacket stored in the boat fulltime inthe event I forget mine so I at lease have soething...

Last edited by Mojo1269; 12-29-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Keeper

You can purchase waterproof garment bags, but its RAIN gear? I just roll mine up, slap a rubber abnd around them, and throw them in one of my storage compartments.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

My Guide Wear is over 10 years old. I've always folded the bibs flat, about the same width as the legs when flat and rolled it up tightly. Do the same with the jacket/parka. I bought a nylon duffel bag just large enough to both fit in. Camping supply places have these in various sizes. Then store in a boat compartment. Never had issues with moisture getting in and material still in great shape. In my area, Fleet Farm has the perfect storage bags.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

I never store anything in the boat when I am not using it.
i.e. except for spare props anchors, paddles and anchor and ropes.

Everything else comes out and is stored in a closet.

Rain gear and life jackets are removed from the boat and hung up in a closet where they hang straight and can be aired out.

I have just seen too many cases, where someone goes to use a life jacket or rain gear or a coat that was stored in a boat and find that it is partially rotted away, eaten by critters or have large areas of mold.

When I bring the life jackets or or rain gear to the boat, I bring them to the boat in dry bags that do not allow any water to enter the bag, so that they stay dry unless they are in use.

A million different ways to do things, but this method has worked well for me for many years.

In my first boat, I left some fabric things in the boat for a bit and ended up basically having the items ruined by mold and critters chewing on them. So, after that time, I stopped ever keeping any sort of fabric in the boat and have never been sorry.

I have a boat closet in the house that I stop to fill the dry bag before I go to the garage to get things ready for an outing. So, it is easy to keep things straight and not forgotten.

Be safe
Old 12-29-2014, 09:03 PM
Wallhanger

My rainsuit is in a backpack along with my first aid kit, a few munchies, space blanket, Leatherman tool, headlamp and cigarette lighter just in case. In cold weather I add a stocking cap and gloves. It goes from my truck to my boat and back again.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 12-30-2014, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8go4s View Post
My rainsuit is in a backpack along with my first aid kit, a few munchies, space blanket, Leatherman tool, headlamp and cigarette lighter just in case. In cold weather I add a stocking cap and gloves. It goes from my truck to my boat and back again.
I also use a backpack for rain gear, emergency munchies, flashlight, lighter, etc. On Lake Erie, any day can be wet with chop splash. I stow the pack under my console, always bring into garage after fishing since boat is stored outside and if damp, needs hung to dry. On Canada trips, the back is my emergency bag with more survival gear (tarp, bug spray, map, etc).
Old 12-31-2014, 04:47 AM
Wallhanger

Default Rain Gear

Well I store mine in the large Ziplock bags, I make sure it is dry and "stuff" it in the bag so it does not get creased.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 12-31-2014, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Well I store mine in the large Ziplock bags, I make sure it is dry and "stuff" it in the bag so it does not get creased.
I use the very large zip lock bags also. Fold it up and position it in the bag, zip lock it (seal) the bag most of the way and push all the air out of the bag then seal it completely and it vacuum seals it making it a compact package to store away. Just make sure the rain suit is perfectly dry before storing it in the bag or you will run into mold issues.
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5