Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Size 17 Sealines? What size trolling reels? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Keeper

Default Size 17 Sealines? What size trolling reels?

Ive had a mix of size 27 sealines in the past, and I think a 47 also, but don't have them anymore.
I have 3-4 7ft Shimano TDRs I picked up for mainly walleye trolling, and the once in a while Lake trout trolling. Its possible to pick up a salmon, but not likely. Maybe 1-2 salmon a season.

I was really wanting to try the size 17s. They just seem like the would fit well on these 7ft TDRs. Should I try the smaller 17 or stick with 27?
Will the 17s be ok for a few lakers? I don't remember using much line at all on lakers in the past for the most part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Slot Fish

They will be just fine, I've had no problem with my 17 size reels even when ive picked up the odd salmon. I have never had a 25lber on one though.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:05 AM
Wallhanger

The difference is the 27 spool is wider. That makes for a more accurate counter throughout various lead lengths. If you are going to be using any long line techniques you may like the 27's better. Also the drag on the 27's is capable of about twice the drag of the 17's. I think Cabela's has a sale on their special version of the Daiwa's. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017, 05:49 AM
Wallhanger

the 17's should do you just fine. I have all 17's on my boat and catch a few steelhead each season fishing the central basin. I have the sealine sg17lca and the sg17lc3b reels. but the accudepth plus reels are good reels also. I used them for several yrs then got some great deals on the lc3b reels so I upgraded. for kids or women or for anyone that has small hands the 17 is the only way to go. I did upgrade the handles to the power handles.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:28 PM
Wallhanger

For what it's worth, I just think the 27 is a good middle of the road reel, not to big or small and can be used for most style or situations.
However, either way you should be fine.