Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Are we selling ourselves short? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 04-21-2010, 11:14 AM
I'vebeenthere

Cool Are we selling ourselves short?

I belong to a tackle companies Pro Team who's incentives to belong keep getting lesser and lesser each year. I understand theres a troubled economy and that things are tougher for all.

I basically get a discount on product, and for that I am suppose to promote their product 24/7 in a variety of ways. I have always done my best for them, and have asked nothing else in return.

It has occured to me lately though that we are really selling ourselves short, but more importantantly, we are really hurting the guys at the top of the game that are trying to make a living at this game. If companies can get as many of us cheap laborers as they want, whats their incentive to pay an angler at the top his due? It must be very frustrating for the career minded Pro's.

Not sure if theres an answer to this or not, but it needs attention. Maybe we need some kind of Players Union like in other Pro Sports.

What do you guys think, should we be working for pay or for credits and products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

Smile

I have had several opportunities in the past to represent certain companies that would offer only goods in return. I turned them down, mainly because i believe that since the pool of TRUE professional anglers are so small that they do not need guys like me (weekend Tourney guy) to take away from there chance to earn money.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Don't sell yourselves short: There is room and a need for both.

National Pro Staffer:
These guys have access to larger audiences by way of television, radio, newsprint, seminars and professional tourney circuits. Because of their status and potential to contact the masses they can ask for cash and goods. Their expense comes with more reward.

Regional Pro Staff:
A company has zero cost into a regional pro staff person when they provide them goods at cost.
However, these guys may have a more direct impact. They relate to individuals on a one on one basis. It is a lot easier on the bottom line financially for a company to add a grass roots person. They get great benefit from guys that are active with their local club/local tourneys and who is always willing to share information with new people. Regional guys are not taking $$ out of the pocket of the National guys. They each reach different targets.

Never had a company tell me we had to promote their product 24/7. They wouldn't complain though. They expect everyone to be honost and try to find new ways in which to use their products. If you have success, they expect you to share it. If you have a new twist maybe write an article or fnd somone who will.

Don't forget, guys are always comming and going. There is always someone moving up and someone moving out. Some guys are great promotors and some are not. There is definately room for the local, regional and national pro staff guys.
NPAA #499

Last edited by Chad; 04-21-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM
scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'vebeenthere View Post
I belong to a tackle companies Pro Team who's incentives to belong keep getting lesser and lesser each year. I understand theres a troubled economy and that things are tougher for all.

I basically get a discount on product, and for that I am suppose to promote their product 24/7 in a variety of ways. I have always done my best for them, and have asked nothing else in return.

It has occured to me lately though that we are really selling ourselves short, but more importantantly, we are really hurting the guys at the top of the game that are trying to make a living at this game. If companies can get as many of us cheap laborers as they want, whats their incentive to pay an angler at the top his due? It must be very frustrating for the career minded Pro's.

Not sure if theres an answer to this or not, but it needs attention. Maybe we need some kind of Players Union like in other Pro Sports.

What do you guys think, should we be working for pay or for credits and products?
I think this post is a poor attempt by someone to appear to be someone they aren't. I think this is actually a disgruntled "pro" who thinks that the reason he can't get real money from his sponsors is because all the "wannabes" out there are selling themselves for nothing.

The bottom line is this. This entire sport is built on lies and perceptions. The perception that top pros are getting big bucks from sponsors and the lies told to the "wannabes" that if they start out with product discounts, someday they will get real money. The fact is, this sport's money maker and it's "sponsor's" biggest customers are the "wannabes" who think someday they will "make it".

Sponsors and "top pros" just have to continue to fuel the lies and perceptions in order to propogate the scam and get the wannabes to fuel the dream with money and hope.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Cedarsac

Default Field Promotion Hype !!!!!

The guy that just wants to plunk down his hard earned cash doesn't want smoke blown you know where. I have attended several public fishing expo's. You know what I observed, the "pro's" in their go fast shirts chatting among themselves, mostly. The consumer public looked like they felt uncomfortable to approach these pro's and if they got the typical commercial message most likely wouldn't believe them anyway. Chad brings several good points to this post. But I do feel there is this misperception that the top "pro's are making big bucks, some are most aren't. I bet the pro's still in the game have a spouse that has a good job and keeps the cash flow moving. The fishing industry is going through a "necessary" correction. I might add a healthy correction. Perhaps we will return to truth on methods and equipment instead of the commercials we see hidden in today's outdoor writing. Sorry just my thoughts, perhaps won't count much as I am a guest
Old 04-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Keeper

Last year I threw out there I would sponsor a pro with $5,000 cash and not a single person took up the offer. The wanting something for nothing goes both ways.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Wallhanger

I think the manufacturers have figured out that they have plenty of people that are willing to work for next to nothing or dicounted product.Probably not many out there getting paychecks or free stuff anyway.If they are they earned it.With that said if thats what you like to do,go for it.I doubt you are taking any money out of someone elses pocket.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Is there an echo in the room

Quote: It has occured to me lately though that we are really selling ourselves short, but more importantantly, we are really hurting the guys at the top of the game that are trying to make a living at this game. If companies can get as many of us cheap laborers as they want, whats their incentive to pay an angler at the top his due? It must be very frustrating for the career minded Pro's.

Not sure if theres an answer to this or not, but it needs attention. Maybe we need some kind of Players Union like in other Pro Sports."

LOL Where have I heard this statement before?

The fact is, when the MWC was formed, the anglers were mis-led and nothing has changed. Both sides of the ledger should have known /foreseen the obvious failure to come down the road. No where in the business world or major sports has anything like competitive fishing as a template for success, worked in the long run. In marketing and or compensation plans for all parties involved--no where.

About 3-4 guys pleaded with anglers since the beginning to change this setting and most said we were nuts. I told one veteran pro angler just the other day, who thought we were nuts years back, "now you're starting to sound like Fellegy!"

Will it ever change? I am confident, when we get non-endemic $$ as the major marketing player in the sport, they will be sharp enough, unlike the marketing genius's within the tackle and marine industry over the past 25 years, to make sure the anglers do well enough to put on a good show, consistently. Simply...they understand. It's the "NASCAR Way"((a good book).
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#
Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 AM
The Walleye Farmer

Question Why Buy The Cow

"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" That old saying may have an application here.
Another saying would be, 'Whatever the market will bare".

One enterprising young co-angler that I once drew had what I perceived to be the the fanciest custom tournament shirt at a PWT rules meeting. In addition, he had a serious number of major sponsor logos virtually covering every square inch of the shirt. Front, back, sleeves and collar. I did notice however, he did not have a boat sponsor displayed anywhere on his shirt. So I asked him what kind of boat he ran? His reply, " I don't have a boat yet." So I asked him without a boat how he landed all the other sponsors he so proudly displayed? His reply. "I don't have any sponsors. I just had this shirt made so if I do good in this tournament and get my picture taken on stage I am going to send the photos to these companies and see if they will send me some free stuff!"

Another angler this year spent over $2500.00 of his own money to wrap his boat! In the hope that down the road he would be able to land either bigger discounts from his sponsors or additional product. Maybe even a job. Perhaps also giving the appearance that his "sponsors" were taking better care of him than what they were to his fellow anglers and the public.

I could give other examples, but they would all just lead us back to my original question.

"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"
Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 AM
norhtshoreangler

Thumbs up back to the original post

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'vebeenthere View Post

You bring up a great post here. Has nothing to do with being a disgruntled angler. I like the question. Brings up a great oppportunity to heighten awareness to how little "most" of the pro and tournament anglers actually get from sponsors. The free ride for the sponsors will perhaps never change until the new pro staff members insist on some "real" sponsorship dollars or "REAL" cash.

It is my opinion that a pro or tournament angler should not display so called sponsor logos unless they are actually getting something in return. Also, don't kid yourself - the economy is tough; but - the executive level folks within many of these companies are taking down an amount of money each year that is comparable to historic levels. No more, no less. These folks want everyone to believe times are so tough. Yes, they are tough for the average guys; because the folks at the top keep taking their piece of the pie and not sharing it. Oh, you think this is not true. Many of these companies are publicly traded and with research you can find out how much money the executives are taking. Check it out.

Morale of the story - as long as you have people willing to fly sponsor colors without being fairly compensated, it will remain tough to get "real" sponsorships in todays fishing world. Hold out for a real sponsorship or wait your turn.