Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Morning hunts - spooking deer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 10-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Wallhanger

Default Morning hunts - spooking deer

what is everyones opinion on walking into your stand in the morning and spooking deer away?

i have had it happen to me a few times already this year where i will approach my stand and you will hear the deer running through the brush and trees. i park a distance away and walk quietly and slowly down the road and through 100 yards of grass and trees to my stand, a lot of times without a light.

my trail cams are showing activity 2 hours before sunrise all the way to an hour after sun up. i am usually in my stand somewhere close to 2 hours before sunrise, trying to beat the majority of the activity

not sure what else i can do to keep from spooking the animals, just wondered what everybody else does who has run into this situation.
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Keeper

Nothing much you can do beyond what you are. Sometimes I've spooked them in the dark and sometimes I hear them walking under me 5 minutes after I've sat down. There have been plenty of times that even after spooking some in the dark, deer still show up early. Not sure if they're the same ones or not.

If you can, you've got to avoid the wind at your back - even in the dark. I try to get there about an hour before shooting light - probably about 1.5 hours before sun up.

It's still way better than waiting till you can see - because you will lose some of the best time in the stand as well as making it way easier for them to see you too.

Rich

Last edited by REG; 10-18-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Wallhanger

Sounds like your doing it correct try to head in with the wind in your favor downwind from the deer.

I use a dripper active scrape and put it out a couple days before opener. Good Luck

I had this 10 pt come in last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ten pt Buck Sat opener Hm 003.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	511.3 KB
ID:	12113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ten  Point Buck opener 2010 Sat 001 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	968
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	12114  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Keeper

That is why I prefer an evening hunt so you can get in your stand without active deer about in the feeding area. You may not have a choice and it is the morning or nothing. Forget your stand and try to cut them off heading back to their bedding area. You cannot cross the feeding field to do so. Come in from another area and play the wind. If you have bumped them a couple of times, all the above is probably a mute point and you should look to hunt somewhere else. At least until the rut is on, then you can cross the field and still have a chance for a sex-crazed buck coming by anytime.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Wallhanger

Bob, sweet buck!

i have found that evening hunts create exciting action for moving deer but so far, every cam i have out has been showing the larger, more mature deer, moving in the early mornings.

like you guys have mentioned, i constantly keep my eyes on the wind and am very proactive with scent elimination and prevention. which has showed with how i have yet to have deer spook due to scenting me.

my stand is located right between the bedding area and 2 different types of food sources along with the only water source for miles.

just figured i would pick everyones minds to see what others are doing with such problems. thanks for the replies!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:16 AM
Keeper

You're being overly careful in my opinion. I get to my stands about 15 minutes early. Just walk quietly with the wind in your favor and don't use a light. In the dark deer rarely know what you are unless they wind you. A lot of times they'll only run 50 yards or so and will stop and try to figure out what you are. Quiet, and wind in your face will get it done every time. 2 hours early? Why? You can't shoot them in the dark. Animals are moving all over in the time right before legal. The noise won't spook them as they are used to the activity at that time. Wind, wind, and wind is all you need to remember. I've taken my share of PY bucks using this method. Try it and see.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Wallhanger

Bob, sweet buck!

Thanks Mr. good luck on your deer.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Wallhanger

Default Morning stand

Try to find a morning stand that's easier to get to with less opportunity for spooking deer. While I really like the evening stand, my numbers tell me that I've shot a LOT more deer in the morning than in the evening. Quiet and no scent is the key in the morning. I've beeen in 30 min early, and that'e enough if you're quiet. Shot most of my deer in the first hour of the day, so if you pay attention to the little things, the deer won't know you're there.

Shoot once, and shoot straight.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Slot Fish

Thumbs up

I agree two hours is crazy. Half hour to 45 minutes is enough. If you are sure they are not smelling you, then try using your deer call when you are walking in. Just blow on the doe call while walking in and the deer will think it's more deer walking.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStarnes1 View Post
what is everyones opinion on walking into your stand in the morning and spooking deer away?
I probably hunt some of the same country that you do. I would say 2 hours is a little much as well but I have done it depending how far I was trekking to my stand. I am usually in about a half hour before first light. I would probably spend the extra time to plotting my way in on that day. The other thing that I think that I am getting from you is that you are hunting over your trail camera and it is showing activity on or about the time that you are getting into your stand. If this is the case I would definitely be hunting as close to the bedding area as I could without spooking them when I got out for that morning hunt. From what you have described I would say that the most important thing to change is your stand location. I will throw this in so you can relate or give some validity to what I am saying or maybe just because it is close to your home. This is a buck that I shot by Chester, SD on public land a few years back by placing the stand at the end of the funnel. I wanted to hunt the morning but did not have access through the private ground to get to the bedding area without the deer noticing me. Not my biggest but one of the ones I am most proud of.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Archery Deer-1.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	12234