Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Add on towing mirrors... Keeping them on. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 03-27-2017, 04:44 PM
Keeper

Default Add on towing mirrors... Keeping them on.

I Was given a set of add on towing mirrors. They have rubber straps that go over the back side of the side mirrors. They seem to stay on while parked but I am not sure how well they will stay on while going down the road. The straps seem really tight...but my side mirrors have a good taper. My feeling is that once the air pressure starts flowing against them they will loosen up and fall off. My idea to keep them on is to drill a small hole right next to the strap and put a screw in it to keep the strap from sliding down the mirror and falling off. Anyone have any experience using them?

Sincerely,

jbird68

jbird68
Morrison, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 07:58 PM
Keeper

I'm sure all the mirror extensions and mirrors are different but the ones I have have worked great on my Pathfinder (which are tapered). I make sure they're on there pretty tight but they didn't budge at 70 MPH for 350-400 miles. They've been on for other trips too but the speeds were lower.

Definitely need them towing a 101" wide boat with a 73" wide vehicle (doesn't count factory mirrors)!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:04 PM
Keeper

Everytime I looked to buy them online it said they don't fit my 2006 Dodge Durango. I got these for free and they seem to fit fairly tight. Haven't had them on the road yet. My Alumacraft is a lot wider than my old Sea Nymph. Drove 6hrs one way without tow mirrors. Always feel like I'm not seeing everything behind me.

Sincerely,

jbird68

jbird68
Morrison, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 PM
Keeper

We got the K-System Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Mirrors ($25 ea on Amazon). I bought them one at a time so I could see how it fits and from what I could tell they were reviewed well from a number of stores.

No idea if they'll fit your Durango but I put them on a Tahoe and my Pathfinder.

Definitely needed the extensions (actually wish they were a couple inches longer so I could see a little more). I drove about 120 miles on a 2-lane highway when I picked the boat up and couldn't see anything behind me. Stopped at a Walmart on the way to buy a suction cup extension to finish the drive. Helped, but my mirror motors weren't strong enough at higher speeds when the wind hit so never used it after that trip.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:54 AM
Keeper

First thing when adjusting side mirrors try the following:
Turn to look at mirror in the normal driving position then adj so you just barely see any of your vehicle. When looking at mirrors you turn to look at them. (side note this will also make it so driving at night high beams behind you won't blind you unless the are in the lane to your left or right). When backing up if you need to see high or low you can move head easy and you have a much better view behind you. Most don't set mirrors up this way and when you turn to look you see more car then space behind you. Will take some getting used to it but trust me it is much much better viewing and you have less blind spots.

With this done most vehicles towing boats which aren't wide for the full extent of the vehicle can see out back very well. Plus 95% of all drivers never use rear mirrors anyways let alone pay attention looking out the windshield from what I have seen driving the roads. I'm easily over 1 mill mile club diving and between farm and previous work as a delivery driver being big doesn't mean people see you better. I see better out my minivan pulling a 19'9" deep v boat on a tandem axle trailer with stock Sienna mirrors then our Sterling Semi pulling grain trailer.

Neighbor used to have mirror extensions for a travel trailer. His fit snug and never moved. Forget the brand but they make mirrors for Deere and my boat mirror for skiing is made by them as well.

That all said I think it is great to have extended mirrors to give you more information but if you run into a pinch or get one knocked or taken being able to use your factory mirrors to see better will always be a good option. Another one is a waterproof wifi camera on your trailer. Can be used as a passing helper so you can put that prop right in front of that grill on the car that likes to speed up only in passing zones.... But you didn't hear that from me.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Or:

https://www.realtruck.com/cipa-custo...FZG3wAodnegFXQ

Scroll to the bottom of the page for other examples:
Old 03-28-2017, 06:05 PM
Wallhanger

I had some trouble with the strap ones loosing up. They normally only make the slide on ones for certain pickup trucks. Never found any for small SUVs. By far the best I have found are these. https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-2.../dp/B0095TC6I6. I did flip them around and clamped them on to the bottom of my mirrors. I did shorten the rod up some. It gets a little close to the truck body mounted on the bottom side.. Allot of that depends on your mirror designs. On my 2015 Dodge Durango i had a little more room between the mirror and housing on the bottom. I put some stair tread tape inside the housing. In three years they have never got loose. The other advantage is the clamped on mirror does not vibrate as much as the strapped mirrors. You might need to look around for better prices. Amazons price seems higher since I bought mine. Yes I paid 117 bucks for a pair in 2015.

Last edited by Snowking; 03-28-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Keeper

Those look nice but $200. Wow! I bet they really do stay in place.

Sincerely,

jbird68

jbird68
Morrison, IL
Old 03-28-2017, 06:47 PM
Wallhanger

I edited my post. I most have edited when you where typing. I payed 117 for a pair in 2015. Looks like Amazon is selling them though third party's now. Should be able to find them cheaper. Here's is a site for 112. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Grand...-p/23-0022.htm

Last edited by Snowking; 03-28-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:09 PM
Keeper

That's $112 for just the driver side? It does not specify. Also says unavailable. Bummer.

Sincerely,

jbird68

jbird68
Morrison, IL