Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat camping - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-16-2017, 07:35 AM
Keeper

Default Boat camping

Exploring a boat-in camping trip on a big water lake and am curious what others who camp do to protect their boat at the campsite. Obviously I'll look for well-protected water and a sandy beach but does anyone take extra steps to protect their boat? My boat is fiberglass with a Hamby's keel guard but even gentle rocking at night could cause some hull scratching. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Keeper

Default Boat camping

I haven't done this, but I found some info that recommended tying the bow to shore and one anchor off of each aft corner.(preferably 2 off each corner)

This was off of a Lake Powell camping site

http://www.wayneswords.com/index.php...d=87&Itemid=56
Old 04-16-2017, 08:22 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
I haven't done this, but I found some info that recommended tying the bow to shore and one anchor off of each aft corner.(preferably 2 off each corner)

This was off of a Lake Powell camping site

http://www.wayneswords.com/index.php...d=87&Itemid=56
Yea, I've done that when cooking shorelunch but don't know if I trust it overnight. Plus someone has to get wet. Might be my best option though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2017, 08:23 AM
Keeper

I think they mean to nose onto the beach, then drop anchors off of each corner, straight down. Still nosed on shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-16-2017, 08:34 AM
Slot Fish

Old car tires work well if you can place them such that any wind action won't drift/move them out of place. Put a couple rocks in to keep them from floating out of place and pull or run boat onto them (or against them depending on shoreline) and tie off tight. Need to have tires tied off to shore so you don't lose em. Thats what we use on our annual tent camping trip.

As you said, the real need is to find a spot that will be sheltered from any big wind - Nothing worse than a big blow coming up at night and your boat being in a questionable spot.

Dan
Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer King View Post
Old car tires work well if you can place them such that any wind action won't drift/move them out of place. Put a couple rocks in to keep them from floating out of place and pull or run boat onto them (or against them depending on shoreline) and tie off tight. Need to have tires tied off to shore so you don't lose em. Thats what we use on our annual tent camping trip.

As you said, the real need is to find a spot that will be sheltered from any big wind - Nothing worse than a big blow coming up at night and your boat being in a questionable spot.

Dan
Thought about something like carpet covered 2 x4s similar to trailer bunks but tires might be better. Do they leave scuff marks on the fiberglass hull and, if so, do they buff out easily?
Old 04-16-2017, 09:03 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
I think they mean to nose onto the beach, then drop anchors off of each corner, straight down. Still nosed on shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What I used to do was drop anchors offshore a bit, getting them out wider than the boat about 10 feet, then pulling boat close into shore if a rocky shoreline or all the way into the sand if sandy. That way the anchors could dig in rather than be straight down where they could pull loose easily. Tied off to a tree or rock with the bowline and the security was pretty good. Never tested it in a big blow though.

I think a combination of your idea and Beer King's tire idea would be a pretty good system.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Wallhanger

Tie long ropes off at the back corners of your boat. Slip the rope through the eyes of two anchors, do not tie knots. Drop anchors at 45 degrees to each side of the boat and about 50 feet or so from shore, use your judgement here to get the ropes at a proper angle. Tie a third rope to the bow eye. Pull up to shore, unload and get out, adjust all three ropes so the boat is in a good spot away from shore and tie off to trees or rocks. If your anchors have good grip, your boat should be safely moored from three points.

andersaki
Old 04-16-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I suggest you check out the following for some helpful ideas https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...rchid=67345138

Bill
Old 04-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

I would NEVER anchor the stern facing offshore! Good way to find your boat sunk in the morning if a storm comes up.