Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Which ammo for Kimber Montana .308 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Wallhanger

Default Which ammo for Kimber Montana .308

Anyone shoot a Kimber Montana in .308? I'm looking for suggestions on ammo for deer to elk. I don't reload so it will have to be off the shelf. I know every rifle is a bit different but need a starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Noah Cantell

Default ?????

I find this to be a strange question from a jarhead.

You will get a bunch of hearsay answers. I like Hornady overall. With a .308 I wouldn't hunt deer/elk beyond 200 yards and I'd use 165 grain expanding spire point, boat tail bullets. There are some custom re-loaders out there that will load to you specks. . . for a price. Goggle it up. Good luck and Semper Fi.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Wallhanger

Noah, thanks for the reply. I was hoping that someone on here had the same rifle/caliber and could share what they have gotten to work. In .308 I have the most experience with FMJ as that was what the gun club issued.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

Depends what you want a bullet to do. I like slow expanding bullets for little meat damage. Of course I also like the "hump shot". With that being said, the SWIFT A-FRAME is my bullet of choice. Of course the .308 is a slower caliber.

My Speer reloading manual states the fastest you are going to move that bullet is 2587 ft/sec. That's slow. The 165 grain Spitz Boat-tail soft point is the bullet I'd look at. They move slow enough that you could use a little faster expanding bullet (something like a Nosler Partition).

Since you aren't home loading and the prices of factory ammo are god awful I won't suggest to many different rounds.

The Traditional Core Lokt bullets were junk a few years back. The "Ultra Bonded" Core Lokt may be a good bullet. However they may be to slow expanding. I would still avoid the regular Core Lokt.
http://www.remington.com/products/am...ra-bonded.aspx

I also didn't like the Nosler Partition for personal reasons. But I don't think you should avoid it.
http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...le.aspx?id=304

I like this combo for you.
http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...le.aspx?id=303

Remember this. For ELK sized game, you need 1100 ft pounds of energy to take it down properly. The 180 grain Nosler Partition factory ammo
Ft pounds for 180 grain 308 Win. (7.62x51mm)
Muzzle 2640
100 yard 2278
200 yard 1957
300 yard 1672
400 yard 1420
500 yard 1202

I wouldn't be afraid to make a long shot with a .308. It's more a matter of your skills. I can assure you, your gun can out shoot you.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 01-22-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Wallhanger

Good info Wade, thanks. I don't want to spend a small fortune at the store on ammo. Do you have any experience with a Kimber Montana?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
Good info Wade, thanks. I don't want to spend a small fortune at the store on ammo. Do you have any experience with a Kimber Montana?
Only in my dreams. I only have experience with the Kimber 84L. I've always wanted a Montana but I pretty much got out of hunting/shooting in exchange for hardcore fishing.

I have handled them and they are sweet.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Wallhanger

For accuracy, only the rifle's barrel will know. You may have to try a number of different brands to find the factory load that provides adequate accuracy for your needs.
As far as trajectory, there is little difference between a 150, 165, and 180 bullet weight. Deer are a lot different than elk. Deer have light bones, elk have heavy, strong bones. Elk are a lot bigger, so require more penetration to reach the killing zone if the angle is not perfect. A 150 grain bullet is perfect for any deer that walked, a 180 grain bullet is much better for elk. If you shoot your game in the shoulder, a premium 180 bullet would be nice.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Minnow

The .308 is a capable round. For elk, you're going to want a well constructed 165 to 180 grain bullet like a Nosler partition or A-frame. Nearly anything will work for deer.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Wallhanger

I dont shoot a kimber, but I own 600 & 660 remingtons in the .308.
I also am a hornady fan. I reload, and the HSP has been a favorite of mine for years.
seems the 165 gr.tip, in the .308, gives me the best accuracy, also excellent on deer sized game.
before reloading, I used federal ammo in a 22-250. I found it to be very accurate. rem. core-lokt seem to get the job done, but dont seem to be quite as accurate.
sometimes a not so accurate factory rifle can be made into a very accurate rifle, by just doing some minor things. you'd be surprised at how much the screw tension that holds the action into the stock can affect accuracy, or a barrel lug that's not bedded properlly, or a free floating barrel that's touching the stock.
if a gun has a combination of these, I don't care what type of ammo you use, it aint gonna shoot too well.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Wallhanger

okay, the 308 is a fine round for any Elk or deer that walks this earth and can be very effective past 200 yards. I am not sure why anyone said to keep it under 200 yards. You should look for about 1200 ft lbs of energy at your limit. I would say Hornady makes a good bullet but i have seen Elk killed with regular corelokts too. Elk are NOT indestructable. People have killed them with 30.30's and 243's over the years. Geeez.. I would just find a 165 gr load that works for your gun and stick with it. 168 gr (same thing)... to me the 180 gr is getting too heavy and is more suited to the 30.06. This can be argued because the 180 does work. I just think it works better in the 30.06 and that the 165 gr is optimal for the 308.