Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
The fish were deep, jigging out of a boat what would be the most practical, favorite, rod length, and what action rods. No all purpose opinions on this one serious walleye jiggers use jigging rods. Al - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2001, 10:58 AM
Cangl

Default The fish were deep, jigging out of a boat what would be the most practical, favorite, rod length, and what action rods. No all purpose opinions on this one serious walleye jiggers use jigging rods. Al

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2001, 11:16 AM
s.f.

Default shorter is better

the shorter rods are usually more sensitive, which is a key to vertical jigging. done right, in most cases, you will be hovering at a specific depth that could vary sharply a few feet either way relative to where your line is. and sometimes, you will hold the boat over a fish on the screen, which is most likely directly under the boat. so...shorter keeps your line in the 'zone' that will have optimum potential for a bite. longer offers no advantage, in my meager opinion.
s.f.
Old 12-09-2001, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Rods

Yeah, like he said. I've tried several different lengths of rods for jigging, and now the one I always go for first is my 5 foot 9 St Croix. It just feels right. Now, actions are a different story. I fish mostmy 1/8-1/4 oz jigs with that rod. If I'm fishing heavier than 3/8 oz I go to a rod with a little bit heavier action and more backbone. Trying to put a nice sharp pop on a jig with a rod that's too light is next to impossible. Again, my opinion. A good friend of mine who can outjig me on most days uses a 7 footer. Go figure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2001, 06:27 PM
Cangl

Default RE: Rods

Recently I was introduced to some jigging rods, less then 3ft in length built of the butt and handle sections of graphite baitcaster and reels. Chugging to jigging and to depths well over 50ft in heavy current. Seems as though the advantages may have been the fact that you never see these rods "up" or the fish for that matter. My 7ft seems to be a little tougher to keep near the transducer also. 5 ft 9" St Croix would be my over all favorite but for down deep.
5.5 Diawa SA 50-2 Samurai medium action baitcaster, flipping switch.
Worst jigging rod I own would be 5.5 light action "green" Mitchell spinning, got one! What do I do with it rod?