Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tow with cover on or cover off? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 05-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Somebody here @ WC once said: "Towing without the cover on the boat is like dragging a parachute".
Maybe not exactly accurate... but sure has some truth to it.

Hey, I resemble that remark! I still feel the same way as when I shared those thoughts several years ago. After I got a snap-on cover for my 20' Alaskan with walk-through windshield, I realized about 2mpg better when towing with my pickup and topper. Honest.

For short distances, the cover is just too much trouble, though.

Bill Krejca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark! I still feel the same way as when I shared those thoughts several years ago. After I got a snap-on cover for my 20' Alaskan with walk-through windshield, I realized about 2mpg better when towing with my pickup and topper. Honest.

For short distances, the cover is just too much trouble, though.

Bill Krejca
...10-4 on that, Bill.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Keeper

Default Bow cover only?

I know one guy who tows with a snap on bow cover. He doesn't put the mooring cover on while towing. The boat has a walk through windshield. He towed his boat this way due to dealer recommendations and didn't know if his fuel mileage was any better or worse since this was the only way he towed it.

My new boat is set up with a bow cover and mooring cover. I'd be interested to hear from those of you who have a 2 piece cover if you have noticed any differences in fuel mileage by installing only the bow cover for travel. From what REW said, I would think the bow cover and full windshield should help in holding a "bubble" of air in the back of the boat. No?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Keeper

Using wind tunnels, the manufacturers of all motor vehicles test and publish the "drag coefficient" (Cd) for their various models. It would be interesting to know what they Cd is for our boats, with and without the cover on!

I know I've seen many instances of very loose boat covers, usually secured with bungee cords, that catch all kinds of air while being trailered down the highway. It's very obvious that these covers (which billow up like a parachute) are adding a lot of drag and increasing the rig's Cd, while also increasing stress on the engine and drivetrain components. Owners of these covers would be much better off not using them when towing their boat.

But a tight-fitting snap-on cover that prevents air from getting trapped inside the boat (which would otherwise expose various flat surfaces, adding wind resistance) is a whole different animal - this cover makes the boat more streamlined and lowers the Cd of the total rig.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default Trailering

Well..I can tell you that anytime i travel more than 10 miles i travel with the cover on. I really don't care about the fuel mileage at all. My Ranger cover fits so well that once it is tied down it is really quite aerodynamic....on the plus side all my gear gets where iam going and it is dust and bug free and it keeps prying eyes away as well. The second i leave the ramp the cover goes on.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 05-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Minnow

Default Tow with cover on or off

If you are so worried about getting one or two mph more towing with a cover or not I suggest leaving the boat at the dealership where you found it. It costs to play. The curved windshields on boats with walk through fronts are over $600.00 per side. A travel tarp is about $500.00 . Just one rock will pay for the tarp let alone the mess and lost fishing time.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilguy View Post
I know one guy who tows with a snap on bow cover. He doesn't put the mooring cover on while towing. The boat has a walk through windshield. He towed his boat this way due to dealer recommendations and didn't know if his fuel mileage was any better or worse since this was the only way he towed it.

My new boat is set up with a bow cover and mooring cover. I'd be interested to hear from those of you who have a 2 piece cover if you have noticed any differences in fuel mileage by installing only the bow cover for travel. From what REW said, I would think the bow cover and full windshield should help in holding a "bubble" of air in the back of the boat. No?
You probably don't want to tow with a mooring cover. It will buff your paint off.
Another one of those things I learned from experience
Old 05-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRIT View Post
If you are so worried about getting one or two mph more towing with a cover or not I suggest leaving the boat at the dealership where you found it. It costs to play. The curved windshields on boats with walk through fronts are over $600.00 per side. A travel tarp is about $500.00 . Just one rock will pay for the tarp let alone the mess and lost fishing time.

It's not so much about "worrying about getting one or two mpg more". I personally like to save a few $$ where I can. Sure, a few extra bucks isn't a big deal, but why spend the $$ if you don't have to? I value the input from other owners before I learn the hard way. BTW custom tarps are a heck of a lot more than 500 bucks where I'm from....try tripling that number. It's too bad the factory snap on tarps wouldn't fit

One concern I have is the snap on mooring cover possibly scratching the windshield if you use it for travel. I'm hoping that if a person keeps the cover clean, it shouldn't be an issue??
Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Wallhanger

Protection just doesn't apply to the boat either. For years my dad traveled down gravel roads with the cover off. His fishing reels never lasted very long. They were always covered in dirt and grime. Reels aren't cheap either. It doesn't have to be a gravel road to do it either. Cover is always on my boat. Its is way less work to maintain my equipment rather than spend hours cleaning bugs that attract flies and all of the other stuff you can imagine.

Bill
Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with all the reasons to use a cover. If you use a good, factory fitted type cover with a lot of snaps, they are tight, don't flap, and don't rub anything.

I also concur that a cover improves mileage. Another reason a cover improves mileage is the bow support pole that lifts and supports the cover between the bow and the windshield. Although this doesn't eliminate the significant additional drag caused by a windshield, it certainly reduces the drag by causing a much more streamlined profile. A rear support pole also improves the profile.

Of all the good reasons to use a cover the best reason is simply to keep the interior of the boat clean especially when towing through rain shows. A boat interior coated with road grime after towing through rain is disgusting.