Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Johnson won't Start - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2002, 04:15 PM
Dylan

Default Johnson won't Start

I have a 1976 Johnson 55hp outboard (model # 55EL76E) that has decided to not start. After a few passes pulling a skier (fishing was slow mid day), I decelerated to pick them back up. The motor killed after I throttled down and while I coasted to the skier. Upon inspection of the motor, it was found that the starter housing had loosened up. After tightening the starter housing the motor turned over as usual, except it wouldn't start. It has spark, fuel, and feels like it has compression. There where no abnormal noises from the motor when it quit. Even with spark, compression, and fuel the Johnson won't fire or even sputer, turns over like normal though. As long as I've had the boat and motor it always ran exceptonally well, even at spring start-up. Even though it is an older motor, it is in almost new condition and has been well maintained. Could the timing been thrown off? Is there some sort of sensor that could have been tripped? Or is it something completely different?
PLEASE HELP! I NEED TO GET BACK ON THE WATER FISHING!
}</////////,>