Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Another lowrance issue - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 AM
Minnow

Angry Another lowrance issue

Let me start this by saying I currently own 10 + lowrance units. Almost 2.5 years ago I upgraded to HDS units. 1 is a hds7 and a hds5. I have put a new transducer on the 7. This spring the hds7 would not power up. Through my dealer lowrance wants $625+ shipping for a replacement. The original unit only cost $999. The last time i had issues lowrance stepped up and replaced 2 units in less than a month. This was before mapping units. I am hopefull that with all the issues with quality lowrance will step up again. If they fail to step up it will be the last time I will purchase any product from lowrance or their parent company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 AM
Wallhanger

Hmmm. $625+shipping for a refurbished unit that has a 6-month warranty or $950 delivered for a brand new HDS-7 Gen-2 with a 2-year warranty. Hardly makes sense to 'fix" the old one.

I understand you are disappointed, but 2.5 years is past the warranty period for the product. Lowrance isn't the same company it was 15 years ago.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:14 AM
Minnow

Cool

I have units that are over 10yrs old and never a problem. If I end up buying a new unit it surely will not be lowrance . Let's see 3 boats 2-4 units a boat $4000-5000 for new or upgrades sorry lowrance you lose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Let's see,,,,,,,,,,,,, 2 units (both OUT of the warranty period) and if Lowrance won't step up to the plate and replace them for FREE you'll go elsewhere! Correct?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hmmm. $625+shipping for a refurbished unit that has a 6-month warranty
The problem I see with refurbs is not knowing the refurb units history.

I send in a unit with a glitch or sticky button and get a refurb that was originally sent in for water intrusion.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
The problem I see with refurbs is not knowing the refurb units history.

I send in a unit with a glitch or sticky button and get a refurb that was originally sent in for water intrusion.
I hear you Mike. I sent in a unit 3 years ago and got 3 refurbs before I got one that didn't have obvious problems.

In fairness, I'm just guessing what the OP was offered. He didn't say he was offered a refurb for $625- it might have been a new HDS-7 Gen-2. If the latter, he might think about accepting that offer.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I can feel the pain in the post.
I don't think that the real issue is the fact that the unit is 2 or 5 years old, it is the fact, that the manufacturer will not offer repair on units of this age for a reasonable price.

It is not reasonable to offer a replacement unit for $625 for a $900 unit when the unit is only a few years old.

I make this analogy to your car.
Lets say that you are going down the road and the trunk lock on the trunk of your car breaks. Then, the dealer offers to fix the car by selling you a refurbished unit for $18,000 - to basically repair the broken trunk lock. I don't think you would be a happy camper would you.

----------
In the case of electronics, the principle is the same. The fellow has a unit that has a simple power up problem. The likely problem is a 5 cent resistor or diode on a circuit board on the inside of the unit. Why should the manufacturer charge the customer $625 to supply a working unit to the customer for a problem that has a root cause of 5 cents to repair?

Sure, most of the boards in the depth finders are made off shore.
So, why doesn't the manufacturer simply have a supply of rebuilt and factory checked boards on hand that - when swapped with one from a non working unit be supplied to the customer for a reasonable cost?

Dishwashers are like that. TV sets are like that. Computers are like that.
No reason that depth finder and manufacturers be like that.

A perfect example is Vexilar electronics. It really makes no difference as to the age of any depthfinder that is broken. If it is sent in to the factory the unit will be fixed for a reasonable price.

A particular manufacturer does not offer a reasonable repair service, because the corp makes more money by selling replacement units.
Does that make it right? Or does it simply mean that the corp wants to maximize its profit potential.

Take care
REW
Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Minnow

Rew, i always like your insite. Over the years your replies have been thoughtful and helpful. You don't normally try to "stir-the-pot".
Actually I started having problems with the hds7 in July 2011 about 2/3 weeks after the warranty period ended. This is why I hate combo units.

According to my dealer, the replacement unit would be a refurbished Gen 1. If lowrance was to offer up a Gen 2 maybe I would concider their strong arm tactics.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Wallhanger

As REW points out, large appliance companies maintain an inventory of parts. We were told by a service technician they are legally required to keep parts in inventory for 35 years after the last unit was built. Since much of what fails in electronics are chips whose actual cost to make is under maybe $5, I don't believe their reason for the lack of parts/service.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye621 View Post
According to my dealer, the replacement unit would be a refurbished Gen 1. If lowrance was to offer up a Gen 2 maybe I would concider their strong arm tactics.
It might be worth you making a direct call to Lowrance customer support to ask if there's a better deal available than $625 for a refurb. Check post #4 here:
https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...ight=hds+trade
Last year, someone claims he got Lowrance to exchange a dead 110C for a new HDS10 for $650. Can't hurt to ask...