Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What do you think best breed for a gaurd dog is? - Page 7 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2004, 12:59 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: What do you think best breed for a gaurd dog is?

Defineitely less than 15#. Pinpoint sharp teeth that dig in and stay. I have no fear of large dogs, it's the small ones that make me nervous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2004, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear that. It is soooooo tough to lose a member of the family like that.

Asking for recommendations on breeds for a new puppy is like asking someone their favorite color. I'd be happy to give you my two cents worth but admittedly, it would be as biased - just like any reply you'd see on that subject. Send me an e-mail if you'd like and I'd be happy to give you my ideas. I am fairly familiar with pros and cons on most breeds.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Wallhanger

Hi Clipper!

Thanks for getting back to me. The link is great, and one I hadn't found yet in my casual searches thus far.

We found out today that Manfreddie is in liver failure, so at least some of the suspense is gone. I don't have to hope against hope any more that his blood counts will ever be normal again. More preparation for me psychologically to say goodbye soon.

I travel presently, but hopefully in about a year that will change. At that point I will have a new pup lined up, I'm sure! I would like to go for a Companion Dog (CD) title for the new dog, something I always wanted to do for Manfred, but I began traveling shortly after I got him 12 years ago, and the time just wasn't there. A bonding experience and beneficial for the dog as well.

I thought of the perfect comeback for anyone who gives me a hard time for having a large dog. "Sir/Ma'am, this dog is a product of carefully planned breeding over a multitude of generations, a concept with which you obviously are unfamiliar..." :D

So you are a Clipper from Alberta? Please don't send any more of those our way until next winter! I'm ready for some warm, spring fishing! ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2004, 09:45 PM
Wallhanger

phern:

That really stinks, and there's no words that will do it justice. I hear your pain, and your price. Congrats on 10 good years.

(I bet $10 your wife will change her mind)

-John
Old 03-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Wallhanger

Goodness gracious! I am so sorry for you. It is easy to tell from your post that you loved her very much and are missing her greatly. I'm about to go through the same thing myself for the very first time, and am dreading it.

Just take your time in finding the right friend. Look around at shelters and breeders. I guarantee you, when you see the right one, you'll know it, just as you did with her.

If I have a choice, my litmus test will be to set the little fellow outside the pen with his brothers and sisters inside. Twelve years ago, I did that with three little Rottweiler boys, one at a time. The first one pulled an empty trash bag off the shelf, lost interest and wandered off. The second one went for the bag, but ran away when his brothers and sisters started barking at him. The third one picked up the bag and trotted circles around the outside of the pen, head up high, loving every minute of driving his brothers and sisters crazy as they ran around inside the pen following him yipping and yapping their heads off. At that point, I knew I had to have that little clown for my own, as we were obviously kindred spirits!

You'll know when and who the right choice will be, my friend...
Old 03-04-2004, 06:24 AM
Jim Stedke

If you're looking for a serious dog, check out Akidas. Chinesse royalty dogs, that noone will challege. Loyal beyond belief.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Best dog my family has ever had was a Springer mixed breed. Never could quite figure out what the other lineage was. She was a great family pet and always barked at least once whenever anyone walked by on the street. We didn't need a door bell. She seemed very agressive to strangers but never bit anyone. She always accepted someone once she was petted and introduced to them. Learned all the commands quickly and followed orders immediately. Was very sad when the time came to put her down. Was glad I was away at college when that day finally came. The house was different when we got another springer mix after that. She was another fine dog and I ended up with that one when my mother moved into a trailer park. She was a good dog with my kids but didn't bark as much when people where outside. I kinda liked the instant alarm of the first one. You knew someone was around.

Anyway,,, I'd look in to a small to medium sized dog. They seem more protective of their turf and you can still make them believe that you are the leader of the pack. Just my opinion.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Clipper

Hi Jed, Sorry to hear about your dog. It's a real heartbreaker when they get sick and you can't help them out. I know how you feel.

My bully died last year on March 1st so I had a couple of drinks for him the other night just as a remembrance. He was the very best!

I got some bad news from the breeder last night in that the mother of my future pup didn't "take" from the breeding and there are no pups on the way. She offered me an older dog but the Missus and I are really looking for a pup that we can integrate into the family and I'm not sure how an older dog would work out. Decisions, decisions.

Anyway, hope it all works out as well as possible for you and your dog.