Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
NW Ontario ice out predictions?? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Minnow

I've been watching ice around Red Lake for a while and I agree with Enid - it all depends on what happens from here out.

The first big milestone is the snow, when it is gone that seems to start the clock ticking. After that warm weather and sunshine seem to be the biggies, attacking the ice from the bottom up with sunshine and top down with warm weather.

Enid - do you know what the ice thickness is now on Howey Bay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Minnow

April 1st (April fools joke) Who knows with the crazy weather we are getting. 61 in il and wi yesterday.I will go with MAY 2 i hope its later.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Last year was May 8th. Average date is April 29th. I'll go with the average this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Minnow

Default Ice on Howey Bay in Red Lake

Today, Lorne Marks, was fishing in front of his house on Howey Bay. In February, he measured 34 inches....today only 25 inches.
I was walking in a jackpine bush near to town and there was no snow in the bush!!
Crazy for March.
We are going to be surprised when we get a big dump of snow this spring but, BOY, do we need it!! Or else, this will be the forest fire season of this century!!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:27 AM

I was at the uni dome sports show sun and talked to a resort on Lac Seul and he said they have had very little snow and they are pumping alot of water through the dam! He seemed to think that the lake, baring a major rain or snow event, would be way down this year, like in 06. I hope not, that was the year I hit a rock and took out the lower unit!! We were way down by Rocky point, if you know where that is. How we ever got back home is beyond me.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Minnow

It was 18 Celsius yesterday (Sunday, March 14th) and 14 C today in Thunder Bay. There is virtually no snow on any of the lakes and little to no snow in the bush. Temps are forecasted for well above zero all this week. Hopefully the warm weather sticks around and the fish can get a spawn in while the season is closed.

-DV
Old 03-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Red Lake Angler

Default Ice out

We will all be fishing in our boats, if we choose, befor season closes April 15th.
And we will not get anymore snow this year, may get a little rain snow mix, but that's about it.
So come on up the second week of April for a little pre-spawn fishin. Trust me!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Wallhanger

Red Lake Angler, I know where I'd like to be, but I'd have to walk a mile or so to get there. Might walk to the other side on the backs of walleyes. Big walleyes.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Minnow

Default latest ice

• I just returned from central Wisconsin. No Ice at Madison. 50% ice at the Dells, 80% and going fast as of Tuesday March 23rd around Black River Falls. Red Lake, Ontario got cold again but still way ahead of last year.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

It's gonna be early guys! Rainy River has been open all the way to the lake for a while now. Ice is thin and slushy...

Lots of people are talking April 14 from what I've heard.