Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger 1860 Angler or Yar-Craft 186TFX - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Unlogged

Default Ranger 1860 Angler or Yar-Craft 186TFX

Which boat would backtroll the best, the Ranger 1860 Angler or the Yar-Craft 186TFX?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Keeper

Yar Craft!!

We have a Ranger, and unless you put some sort of splash guard on, your boat will be full of water. Rangers are the ultimate trolling boat, but for backtrolling, not so much. the Yar craft would be much better option!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Wallhanger

Backtrolling , this one goes to Yarcraft!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

Default Depends

I have fished out of both, and am in the beginning process of ordering a new 1860. That being said, if you want quick responsive turning while backtrolling the 1860 isn't for you. I found that weight distribution helps a lot as far as taking waves over the back, if you are fishing with 3 guys, one up front, and two right behind the windshield, you won't get wet unless your backing into some pretty big waves. 4 guys, two need to be upfront and two right behind the windshield. When I backtroll it's usually over a mud flat with no structure to follow, so I don't need to turn on a dime, backtroll then drift over and over again. If I need to follow structure, I drop the bow mount and troll forward. That has been my experience, it was a good enough one to make me by an 1860.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Keeper

Default Backtroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1860Angler View Post
I have fished out of both, and am in the beginning process of ordering a new 1860. That being said, if you want quick responsive turning while backtrolling the 1860 isn't for you. I found that weight distribution helps a lot as far as taking waves over the back, if you are fishing with 3 guys, one up front, and two right behind the windshield, you won't get wet unless your backing into some pretty big waves. 4 guys, two need to be upfront and two right behind the windshield. When I backtroll it's usually over a mud flat with no structure to follow, so I don't need to turn on a dime, backtroll then drift over and over again. If I need to follow structure, I drop the bow mount and troll forward. That has been my experience, it was a good enough one to make me by an 1860.
Just drop the electric up front, grab the remote and your in total control. Love trolling with the i-Pilot.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410shooter View Post
Just drop the electric up front, grab the remote and your in total control. Love trolling with the i-Pilot.
Ditto!!! The only way to troll!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Wallhanger

Default Game changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410shooter View Post
I do agree the iPilot is a game changer, I find myself going forward a lot more than I use to! Still like to go backwards once in awhile though! Must me my old man coming out in me!!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Minnow

I have an 1860 with a T8 on the back. The only time I find myself back trolling is when I'm trying to stay over very sharp breaks with a crosswind. I put a trolling sock off the D ring at the front of the boat and use the kicker to pull against it. This tension keeps the boat straight and better able to make the turns along breaks ect.

I do get a bit wet if there is anything more than a foot of chop however.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Wallhanger

I'm sorry but I'm confused. Why would ANYONE backtroll in a boat that was not a tiller (and even then...) instead of just using a bow mount? I'm assuming you're talking about jigging or trolling very slowly (and do not want to put a kicker on). If you do any serious amount of trolling isn't a kicker the best way to go?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:13 AM
Keeper

Default Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JinxCanada View Post
I'm sorry but I'm confused. Why would ANYONE backtroll in a boat that was not a tiller (and even then...) instead of just using a bow mount? I'm assuming you're talking about jigging or trolling very slowly (and do not want to put a kicker on). If you do any serious amount of trolling isn't a kicker the best way to go?
I actually sometimes use both at the same time, my 9.9 Pro-Kicker and my i-Pilot. I run the kicker really slow and steer and adjust speed with the i-Pilot, works slick.