Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
trolling line - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Keeper

Default trolling line

Hey guys I have some questions on filling line counters. I will be running a main line of berkley 12lb sensation and backing of 20lb berkley trilene big game. The reason I'm running a backing is here in nebraska very rarely do we run more then say 250 yards of line. My accudepths are based off of 20 lb line and I need a full line counter to be accurate. So my question is how much backing do you guys think and how much mainline per reel??? Thanks for the help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Walleyetracker.
A good way to do it is as simple.
Fill your reel in reverse.

i.e. start with an empty spool.

Spool on 300-350 yards of main line.
Tie on your backing line and fill your reel - resetting the counter before starting to add backing line.
Stop when the reel is full.
If you have a pair or more of the same reel, you now have done the job.
Just use another empty reel and take the line off of the full spool, and reel it onto the empty. You will now be filliing the empty reel with the backing line first, and then following up with the main line which is currently on the bottom of the spool.

If you have more similar reels to fill, you now have recorded yards of main and backing line required to fill the reel.

Take care
REW

p.s.

This is a good technique to fill any reel when you want to use a combination of main and backing line.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Wallhanger

The only thing I would add is, when you think the spool is full, don't cut it until you pull off 100 feet and tape it.
You want to make sure you are very close too equaling the line counter to the 100' tape.
good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement