Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Wine Lake Camp Report - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Wallhanger

Default Wine Lake Camp Report

Returned last night from a great week at Wine Lake Camp. As usual, spent Friday night with Gail and Brad at the Pine Grove Motel in Vermilion Bay. she was going to give us continental breakfast, but couldn't get it together. We were not disappointed with Busters in VB. Good dinner, good breakfast. I think we are skipping Bobby's from now on. Ticked me off that he was TAKING 10% exchange rate even though the dollars are only 3 cents apart. When it was the other way last year he called it par. Most places settled on 5%. Trip into WLC was good and we were on the water by 2. Had walleye that night as the walleye bite was hot all week. Weather was one extreme to the other, Wednesday in particular was windy and raining in the a.m. and clear and calm and warm in the p.m. Trout were still up as the water temp stayed under 60 degrees and we caught a ton of them trolling a perch #10 X Rap. The only lure i needed to bring. Largest trout was 30" and the largest walleye 26" in our party, though a 36" trout and 30' walleye was taken by others in camp. Also tried whitefish for the first time and was not disappointed. while a little chewier, the taste is very pleasant. We grilled them, most people smoke them, I find them hard to light (yuk yuk). As usual Herb and Ann were great. While they are a little pricey, the equipment is top notch and in good repair. The cabins are the best and our view from deck of the Wolf Cabin was worth the price we paid. We booked for next year as we were leaving. If you are going to WLC this year, you will not be disappointed with anything, unless you try and walk up to the upper level of Anishinabi Falls and then you will spend the next hour trying to scrape that 2" of clay off your shoes. Til next year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 04:20 AM
Slot Fish

Glad to hear you had a good time at Wine. I go every other year and this is my off year. Took a tour of wolf cabin last year when they were about done with it. It looked like a nice cabin. Glad to hear the fishing was good and I agree about the clay on the bottom of the shoes. Went up last year to the top after a rain and couldn't believe the clay on the bottom of our shoes.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Wallhanger

Default broken ribs

Last year I went to the upper falls with my son who caught a fat smallie up there. I went back to the boat to measure it, slipped on a rock and broke two ribs. My son didnt go this year but his instructions were, "stay in the boat." I am stubborn and didnt listen and of course i slipped again. this year no broken ribs but i got wet up to my chest. From now on i am staying in the boat. About the fishing, I don't know how many walleye the four of us caught, but it must be over a thousand. The last two years have been the best fishing ever at WLC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Keeper

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHooksHimself View Post
I think we are skipping Bobby's from now on. Ticked me off that he was TAKING 10% exchange rate even though the dollars are only 3 cents apart. When it was the other way last year he called it par.
My take on this and in defense of the local stores in my area ..

The banks in our area charge them to exchange your US money that you give them ..
I took $100 US in and they only give me $92 can funds back ..
Let's do the math US money is already 3% lower than Can + banks charge 5% fee to convert money, that equal 8 % ..

Bobby's over charged you by 2 % !!!

My advice next time use your Credit Card, and they will give you real time exchange rate, when you make a purchase ..
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Wallhanger

Point well taken. It was just interesting that others in the area charged us only 5%. Thanks for writing in Allen (he he).
Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Keeper

Talking Allan ????? God one... hahaha

Quote:
Point well taken. It was just interesting that others in the area charged us only 5%. Thanks for writing in Allen (he he).
If I was Allan, I think the post above might have been filled with more vocal language. LMAO
No, I am not Ray or Denise ( Bobby's Corner Owners ) either, just a proud Vermilion Bay resident that has heard the song and dance at both end of the US exchange equation ..
Old 06-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Wallhanger

Yes, the Allan thing was just a joke. Thanks for the perspective, it makes a little more sense to me. I didn't realize the banks charge you to convert money. I should have realized it since US banks charge me to cash my refund check. I enjoy your town and thanks for the clarification. See you in Sept for my fall trip!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Keeper

Default Spent some time on Wine 5/24

I stayed at Peffley's Camp opening week and while we didn't plan well enough to really explore Wine Lake, on Tuesday we did fish the river downstream of the falls and then fished the north end of the lake and near Anishinabi Falls.

This fat pike (37") was caught and quickly released that afternoon along the north shore.

Because of the clear water, I could see the fish strike my lure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fat.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	10096  
Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Yes, the Allan thing was just a joke. Thanks for the perspective, it makes a little more sense to me. I didn't realize the banks charge you to convert money. I should have realized it since US banks charge me to cash my refund check. I enjoy your town and thanks for the clarification. See you in Sept for my fall trip!

Got the joke

Have fun this fall ..
Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Wallhanger

Default Peffley boats

I try not to add to it, but there is some inherent level of animosity with the Peffley boats with the WLC faithful. Typical response is, "Is the fishing that bad on Wabaskang?" Herb and Ann repeat the mantra "we don't own the lakes." but it was funny when one of the Peffley boats stopped by the boathouse to ask how to get to Beaver Lake. Since I am very familiar with the Peffley operation (but I have never stayed there- the owners are from the same town where I live) I understand the adventure of portaging the boats over the ramp and exploring the Wine Lake system. I would not want to do that portage every day, so I will pay the extra to stay at WLC and that Wabaskang is just to crowded for me. Additionally there is a reason they call it the "mean lake." When we returned across Wabaskang Sat. a.m. 6/4 the waves were 4 ft high and beat the crap out of us. IMHO the system is big enough to handle the additional pressure but one reason we go to WLC is for the seclusion. No particular point here, just throwing that out there to see what comments you may have.