Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dive Charts and Linecounter calibration - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Keeper

Default Dive Charts and Linecounter calibration

Just wondering if anyone could tell me the dive charts for rapala taildancer size 9 (not deep taildancer just regular) and for the deep husky jerk size 12. I searched around and only could find the dive chart for the deep taildancer and I need the regular one.

Also I have a question on calibrating a linecounter. Once I have calibrated the reel, will I ever have to do it again, i/e if I change the line on it?

Thanks for the help and happy fishing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Wallhanger

Line counters are all ways in flux as soon as one gets snagged and breaks off some line it will change the counter. I don`t worry about as much if it is right on but more so that all reels read close to the same so I can repeat when I find the right line out number.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Keeper

anyone with the dive charts?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Keeper

Dive charts are hard to come by here. Copyright issues and loyalty to the author of the "Trollers Bible". Lot of guys paid a lot of money for them and the upgrades are kind of pricey. Look at Farm & Fleet and you'll see they don't come cheap. I have the latest edition and I paid some cash for it.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroller View Post
Dive charts are hard to come by here. Copyright issues and loyalty to the author of the "Trollers Bible". Lot of guys paid a lot of money for them and the upgrades are kind of pricey. Look at Farm & Fleet and you'll see they don't come cheap. I have the latest edition and I paid some cash for it.

I realize that people paid for the precision trolling book, I have the 6th edition which does not include husky jerks or tail dancers. Just was seeing if a friendly fisherman could share some info with me. I am fairly certain that dive charts of lures are not copyrighted also. Don't worry I have mad respect for the people of precision trolling and I fully intend to buy the app when it comes out, I'm just not willing to drop $200 on a book.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Wallhanger

I invested in the Precision Trolling Bible and find that it puts you in the ballpark but it's not precise. There are just too many variables that you can't control. I have made my own charts by trial and error on the east side of Lake Michigan where we have a very slow tapered shoreline, with very few snags. I did the same thing to test my downriggers. Lock in on various depths and let out the line until you tick bottom. Record the results. I tape the charts that I make on the lid of one of my tackle boxes. Now depending on currents, wave conditions, and rod angle, my charts get me close. I think close is OK with repeatability being the most important aspect of depth control.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Keeper

I am going to be trolling mud flats so there is not much difference on the bottom. Plus I will be trolling with 10 lb mono so it's pretty normal. I only wanted the charts for 2 lures that I'm going to be trolling with, It's not worth it to make my own when I only need it for two lures. I was just hoping that someone kind would look in their book for the two dive charts.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Keeper

I remember hearing last year at a bass pro seminar with the next bite guys they were in process of releasing an app for the trolling bible. I even rember seeing them demo it and it looked very nice.

This post made me think I should download it but I can't find it. Anyone have info on this?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher_i_am View Post
I remember hearing last year at a bass pro seminar with the next bite guys they were in process of releasing an app for the trolling bible. I even rember seeing them demo it and it looked very nice.

This post made me think I should download it but I can't find it. Anyone have info on this?

I emailed him the other day. He said the app is "on the horizon....."

He also said the book is history.......forever. Too expensive to print, and it always has to be updated.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Impact,
Since you are only concerned about two different lures, find a nice long flat stretch of lake bottom with a gradual taper toward deeper water and make your own dive chart.

Go to your desired trolling speed and desired line out length.

Then, start in deep water and gradually go shallow until the lure is just ticking the bottom.
Go in and out a bit to confirm that you have it right.

Make note of that depth for that speed and amount of line.

Then, go to another desired trolling speed and repeat. You should be able to make a dive curve for a lure in an hour or so.

Then treasure the curve that you have made.

Be safe
REW