Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Competitive Fishing Deterrent - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

View Poll Results: With the various top competitive circuits involving an array of fish species such as
Fishing competitively on a national level does not interest me. 5 5.56%
The expenditure to do so is prohibitive. 57 63.33%
I do not feel I possess the knowledge or talent to do so. 7 7.78%
It would be too large of a burden on my family. 7 7.78%
I believe fishing is just a recreation. 14 15.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Minnow

Theres a reason the guys that have big name sponsors and do these tournament series such as aim and flw actually have these sponsors. Its not a situation of "who you know not what you know" these guys have earned the right to be in that position through hard work and dedication not to mention having the silks necessary to compete at that level and be consistently successful. I'm not saying there isn't people that can compete with them that aren't sponsored, off the top of my head I can think of a few names that fit into this category. That being said you can't start at the top if you want to compete at that level you have to pay to play the game sure its expensive but the rewards are there too. Everybody starts at the bottom people like Ron Seelhoff, Tommy Skarlis, Tom Keenan, Kevin McQuoid (the list goes on) all started off at the bottom and probably at one time scratched loose change together for gas, hotels, entry fees and these great fisherman have made a career out of this great sport. Absolutely the biggest obstacle to getting into professional fishing is money first, closely following would be time although if you have the competitive drive and the passion for fishing somehow you find a way to make it work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Keeper

I would have to disagree, there are many that have big name sponsors who perform poorly. The sponsorship has nothing to do with the game...it is directly tied to promotional ability off the field and unfortunately some players from the earlier years are handed a given for nothing more than who they are. There is not a relevant pattern for sponsorship reward tied to performance. Reality is, the right win, or segment in time, up lifts and carries many through the sport regardless of future performance or consistency.

Last edited by GiddyGills; 10-11-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Minnow

Sure theres some truth to that, but look at it this way do the green bay packers fire aaron rodgers because he throws a couple interceptions and loose to the bears because of a lucky play...NO! The reason is because at any given day anyone can be at the right spot at the right time but the luck factor only gets you so far. That is why the top ten isn't the top ten same guys every tournament. There are sooo many factors that go into it but year after year there are a handful of names that get mentioned when it counts and it isn't because once upon a time they did well and picked up a sponsor to front the bill. Sure its easier with a sponsor but at the end of the day they still have to put hooks in the mouth.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Keeper

Nor should a angler be knocked down for missing a few fish during a derby....but that is not the issue I am referring to. Pro players are expelled for continual bad performances and they sure do not receive sponsorship endorsements rewarding them for the poor performance. They also do not rely on the sponsorship income to justify them being on the field. Fishing is structured differently than any other sport with a zero qualifier other than affordability...and it is not ran by an organization but rather entities within the industry (for the most part). If performance was continually scrutinized to establish participation you see a totally different field and commercially exposed roster of participants.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:43 PM
No Pro

Its interesting that the lowest percent is lack of skill. But what do you expect when someone is doing a self assessment of their own skill. In reality (not on paper), even if the big tournaments had free entry fees, 95% or more wouldn't have the skill, determination or work ethic to be successful on a tour.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Minnow

Really 95% wouldn't have the skills get over yourself!!! I think the hardest part would be finding a team to fish with, since no pro's fish by themselves anymore!! I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, I'm just saying.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Keeper

The relative low concern for skill level is probably due to the fact that competitive sport fishing skill is acquired from doing a recreational activity everyone has access to, every day. There are no engagement rules, age requirements, equipment specifications, regulated field dimensions and such forth. As it stands right now there are many on the tour who lack ability to be successful on a tour, so to denigrate others is a very low blow.

Last edited by GiddyGills; 10-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Wallhanger

People do not fish tournaments for a variety of reasons. There are more reasons that a person who does not fish tournaments doesn't than reasons a pro does.

1. We have jobs.
2. It involves finding a team member who also is not encumbered by a job.
3. The entry fees are expensive. It's much more like a Poker tournament than a nascar event. A bunch of people putting up there own prize money to compete.
4. It is long, boring, grueling to stay out on the water all day long chasing down fish and staying within all the tournament rules necessary to curtail cheating for the poor odds of seeing any reward for it.
5. And there just isn't enough people that think competive fishing is actually anything. Sport, game, whatever.

Any comparisons to Nascar, which I happen to think is about as exciting as watching paint dry while turning left, are silly. Nascar has over 125,000 fans just in the stands during an event. A fishing tournament has Billy Joe Bob, the fishermans wives, and the fisherman who have already weighed in. And that's the popular ones.

Sorry guys, I love competing for money, fishing, poker, bowling, pool, but all attempts to build a large fan with these sports will eventually fail. These are all build on self achievement, not excitement. Which makes you wonder why golf has so many fans?

Mike
Old 10-11-2012, 02:52 PM
ccccaarpps

Default bwaaahaha!

Funny stuff...most think they are good cause they can catch fish on their favorite place at prime times....

Unless you are going to establish a shore fishing tour next to greyhound route its going to be expensive to participate.

How do you assess skills without competition on national level? How do you know you are a good tournament angler until you do it?

Why would you eliminate competitors until you had full fields? Bass created the elites, because it has the participation to do so.

The total costs of participating in league events is 80% of total costs of tour events if you want to be competitive. Entry fee is a fraction of the costs...if you only do local it doesn't really tell you anything.

You want higher levels of competition it takes a lot more money and sponsorship is the only way to get it spectating during the event will not provide the revenue. Nobody goes to an 8 hr baseball game.

Love to hear a good plan....got one?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 PM
GG offline

If a plan is desired then reformat it to a sanctioned game that contains sanctioned minor leagues where ability has to be proven and defined skills have to be accomplished. Knock top contenders down to the minors when they don't perform...and stop arbitrarily assigning skill on the basis that a body is in the game. Stop using a system that rewards a contender for mediocre standings and get the fishing industry away from the helm. There are many ways to improve the game, some just don't want to.
Closed Thread