Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
No GPS allowed - Page 9 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 12-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Canadian Guy

Default RE: No GPS allowed

Why bother paying at all. Just follow the guide out with his paying customers and fish close to them. Same thing goes when a buddy takes you to his favourite hunting spot...show up there with the rest of your buddies ...why bother asking if it's ok. Not a lot of difference in my eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2004, 05:51 AM
Minnow

Default RE: No GPS allowed

You certainly do not keep our economy running.
Pork and Beaners don't anyway that is for sure.

In my 30 years as I guide, I was never fired by the way, but I certainly have asked to be taken OFF a party here and their because of conflicts in opinion.

I have had people catch 50 100 fish a day, and #### because "that" was not enough too.

What irks me with some of the comments here is that someone comes up with a GPS. Programs it. Then "claims" it is for just finding their way around the lake. That is total garbage. and you know it. Next year YOU come up with a few friends who have downloaded that information maybe on their GPS and they start using these spots too. by the time this downloading of information is done, several hundred people might have it, and next time YOU go to any given spot someone is on it or they have fished that hole right out.
Do you actually think, that ONE fishing hole, will sustain big pressure. Think again.

By some of the other comments here, people think that Canada is one great big fishing hole. Well think of it. We as either fisherman, guides, or lodge owners have done to great pains and expense to keep these lakes productive.
It is very possible to fish a body of water out, and I know that for a fact. Nearly did it myself over the years before catch and release came into vogue. May not fish it out, but sure has #### hurt it.

This will happen too and mark my words.....Within a few years with everyone programming their GPS units, you will be able to obtain on line or for a price a pre-programed GPS showing exactly where to go at any give time and on whatever lake. Lac Seul, Red Lake, Nipigon, Eagle, Lake of the Woods etc. etc. It is called progress. guides might become a thing of the past, and I am certainly glad I am out of it.
I had a great time fishing with hundreds of people over my lifetime, most (not all) were great. Made great friends, and even today enjoy seeing they still come here with their families. but believe it or not, they still "do not want to drive the boat, watch a GPS, or cook shorelunch themselves. they come here to fish and use a guides experience to have an great time in Ontario's wilderness. Not to hawg the lake or various spots and take full limits home.

These people naturally are not on the Housekeeping Plan ( HK we call pork and beaners and normally cheap as you know what) but full American Plan.

You come to Canada simply because there is no good fishing where ever you are. You guys to a certain extent have fished out your lakes, polluted them, or built so many cabins on the darn things, it is impossible to fish them.

I've seen changes over the years. cabins being built all over the place. It seems impossible to get away from the maddening crowd and find a nice quite fishing spot, without some twit moving in next to you because he programmed his gps a previous year or someone gave him that information.

Thank goodness I do not guide in those lakes up around Lac Seul as it sounds like most people on this board fish. Me thinks some of the lodge owners let you get away with murder.

Another thing that might happen one of these years to, with all this border stuff, is that the U.S Government will stop people from taking fish (food stuff) back across the border for fear it is contaminated.

Sooner the better.