Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Saginaw River - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 03-06-2000, 06:18 PM
nokes

Default Saginaw River

Fished the river today, got 6 keepers between 2 of us. Turned loose a 6.5lb female the rest were males the biggest was 19 inches. Lots of boats for a Monday! Weekends are like the indy 500, how long can this fishery hold up with this kind of pressure. What do you guys think of limiting the catch to 3 during March on the saginaw river system? Does anyone really need 5 walleye a day, they're to fun to catch we must do something to preserve this fishery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2000, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Saginaw River

I absolutely and totally AGREE,also limit it to only one fish over 25" during March.
Old 03-06-2000, 07:13 PM
Craig N.

Yes,We must do something.People are just pulling all those BIG females out and keeping all of them.Im not talking just a few boats,its like a couple of 100+ boats with live wells full of females.This makes me sick when I see this!We need a slot limit!!! Or better yet close the damm river down for the month of March and April.If you still want to catch them,then go to the mouth of the river.Just my thoughts. We must do something about this!!!Maybe we could start a pettion and take it to the DNR,or maybe the walleye clubs around the Saginaw Bay could help talk to the Fisheries Dept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2000, 07:25 AM
Keeper

I agree with you on this, but I'm always reluctant to have more restrictions put on fisherman, while i'm sure there were alot of small fish (eaters) caught and kept, alot were thrown back for next year.
Its really only a small window where people are hooking up.
kinda mixed feelings I guess.
I like a slot limit idea better.
Dan
Old 03-07-2000, 07:17 PM
RONBO

I FISHED RUST ST.LAUNCH FRIDAY THRU MONDAY AND LIMITED IN A COUPLE HOURS EACH DAY.ALL THE FISH EXCEPT 2 BARELY MADE 15 INCHES.QUITE FRANKLY I WAS WONDERING WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LARGER FISH.I SAW HUNDREDS OF WALLEYES TAKEN AND ONLY 1 LUNKER?I THOUGHT THE FISHERY WAS IN OUTSTANDING CONDITION.IF YOU WANT LUNKERS FISH THE MAUMEE RIVER IN TOLEDO AND YOU WILL HAVE 5 LIMIT CATCHES APPROACHING 50 POUNDS.I LIVED ON THAT RIVER FOR 32 YEARS.