Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lake Superior - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Slot Fish

Default Lake Superior

Anybody fish the northern shores of lake superior? I have taken several trips up that way between the Sault on up to Marathon. We usually head up early to mid may take our boat with intentions to cast the mouths of the rivers for rainbows and even hike up the rivers to do some fishing for the rainbows. Then hit some inland lakes for pike.
Just curious if anyone else does much fishing in superior- from what I read on here most people just fish the bigger inland lakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Keeper

Default Superior

I live in Sault Ste Marie and I do fish Superior. What is your question about Lake Superior.

Jason Doyon
Old 03-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Slot Fish

no major question, I typically head up toward the wawa area and do the rainbow/pike/lake trout fishing..just dont hear of to many people doin much of the big lake fishing. Just wondered what you guys fish for and some areas you may like to fish in superior. Im typically their sometime between mid may and mid june.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Keeper

Default Haviland

I mostly fish Goulais Bay for Salmon in April, May and June. Batchawana Bay has some great Pike and Smallmouth fishing in June/July and now even some Walleyes. Coho fishing gets good again in September and October. I used to fish steelhead from Goulais River to the Pancake River in the Spring and Fall as well. August is great in Michipicoten Bay for Chinook salmon and lake trout. It is hard to catch big lakers anymore because of the expansive commercial fishery in lake Superior---at least at this end of the lake.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Wallhanger

Default Lake Superior

Well..
I lived In Nipigon for 7 years and I can tell you there are some tremendous places to fish there. Just about any of the tributary's will have fish and you can fish for Coaster Specks casting the north shore in areas like Kama Bay, Rossport or down toward Jackpine river. If you really want an experience you could go to some of the bigger islands in the Nipigon Bay and fish and set up camp there. The best is St Ignace Island absolutely unmatched scenery and some great fishing on the south shore tributaries. I really recommend it

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 03-28-2012, 03:32 AM
Wallhanger

Guys are catching rainbows now. The rivers are wide open with no ice.

Fisherman1792
Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Slot Fish

This early spring is going to kill me! I am heading up around May 19 for a week. Hopefully hit the end of the run and maybe troll for some lakers.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Keeper

Default run

Run will be done by then.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Slot Fish

any reccomendations on what/how to fish for while im thier? I have full trolling gear/ down riggers and boards set up on my boat- obviously all casting gear as well. Pike are usually active but asside from that. We usually just try to find some structure not far off shore and troll around that picking up lake trout. It would be awesome to troll for some silver fish but i always feel so blind going out on superior.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Wallhanger

Up here around Marathon, most guy's troll the mouths of the Big Pic and Little Pic rivers. Both those rivers are very silty and wash a lot of silt into Superior. The water is usually warmer than the lake water and chances of catching salmon increase for this particular area.

Fisherman1792