Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ram Rod Holder for dipseys? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Wallhanger

I ran those holders last season for salmon (dipsys and boards).

Never broke one, but I was nervous enough to run a paracord tether around the rod butt tied to a grab handle......

I've since upgraded to tracks with metal Traxstech holders and will never look back. Not only are the much stronger, but it makes the boat much bigger inside, since rod butts no longer protrude a foot or better into cockpit.

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins

Last edited by B-man; 07-21-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2016, 03:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
. I wish I had a pic of it, but I had a guy over 300# jump over the side of my boat to take a swim and hooked his shorts on one of the rod holders. It held held him just fine until his shorts ripped. lol
That right there would have definitely won you $10K and maybe $100k on AFV....

Hilarious!

I've heard of them breaking by reading the internet but in real life I've never witnessed it... Might be internet hype for the # they sell.

Best of luck w whatever route you choose.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Wallhanger

They may not break....but when I mounted the rail mounts, I thought I had torqued pretty good. Then I had one slip down caused by pressure. I torqued them down much tighter...but I still wouldn't trust them with a heavy wire rod, mag dipsey, and a 25lb king nailing the set up. Stay with the lighter stuff....small boards or small dips and you'll be fine. Each to their own I guess.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs101 View Post
They may not break....but when I mounted the rail mounts, I thought I had torqued pretty good. Then I had one slip down caused by pressure. I torqued them down much tighter...but I still wouldn't trust them with a heavy wire rod, mag dipsey, and a 25lb king nailing the set up. Stay with the lighter stuff....small boards or small dips and you'll be fine. Each to their own I guess.
Yeah, rail mounted might be a little bit of an issue. I have mine bolted to the boat itself. If you have the clearance and can run them almost vertical like a tube, there is really no problem at all. I run mag dipseys out the back also with the rods pointed almost straight up, and there's no stress issue at all with the RAMs. I can't do it with the side holders though. It's when you run big dipseys or boards with the rods horizontal that puts allot of stress and twist on the posts.

Last edited by Custom Eyes; 07-21-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
Yeah, rail mounted might be a little bit of an issue. I have mine bolted to the boat itself. If you have the clearance and can run them almost vertical like a tube, there is really no problem at all. I run mag dipseys out the back also with the rods pointed almost straight up, and there's no stress issue at all with the RAMs. I can't do it with the side holders though. It's when you run big dipseys or boards with the rods horizontal that puts allot of stress and twist on the posts.
Yup...I thought the OP stated he had rails. I run virtually horizontal on dips, and just a little height on boards..
Old 07-22-2016, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I have the Ram 2000's on my Ranger's rails and have used them for salmon for many years with zero problems. They twist back a little when loaded up with a Dipsy but I wouldn't worry about them breaking.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Keeper

Any plastic rod holder will break with dipsy + king combo,
ABS can only flex so many times for so long, UV damage + fatigue, its only a matter of time. Those 20+lbs kings hit with incredible power.
Ask any Lk Ontario charter captain, they will tell you to stay away from plastic holders,
I took their advice and went with Down easter salties,
12 years 0 problems.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

I had a metal rodholder break off at the cast aluminum base once, so they're not the perfect answer either. I do have all Bert's on my big boat though. They are definitely stronger than the Rams but I still use the Rams when I fish out of my Ranger and have complete faith in them.