Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Keeing minnows alive over night. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2003, 02:07 PM
Gretzky

Default Keeing minnows alive over night.

Was wondering if any of you have had any luck keeping minnows alive over night. Fishing one lake then trailer to another the following day. Any suggestions, comments ?
Old 03-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Gretzky

Default RE: Keeing minnows alive over night.

Sorry, should be "Keeping"
Old 03-14-2003, 02:34 PM
Wonder Bread

If it's warm out, I keep the minnows in the livewell overnight. Seem to live longer no being confined in the bait bucket. I take fish food with me also to keep them from not starving. Keep the livewell light on so they don't get scared. Talking to them can also can provide some positive results. Rub their tummies. Make sure you enough females to keep the males happy -- no sluts now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2003, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Heres what I do. Get your self a 48-54 quart cooler. Then get your self a good battery operated areator. Drill a hole in the top of the cooler and run the hose from the areator thru the hole into the cooler, attach the bubbler stone, make sure it's laying on the bottom of the cooler. Fill the cooler 2/3 full of bait tank water and put you minnows in. You can put 6-8 dozen in this with the areator, make sure you have fresh batteries in the areator. Put in 2 filled and frozen 1/2 gallon milk jugs with the top's on tight. This will keep bait for several days. Most areators run for about 60 hours. I keep 4 dozen creek chubs alive like this for days. Do not use tap water or allow tap water to get to the minnows as it will kill them. That's why I used the milk jugs. Ice from bait shops may have chemicals in it also that will kill the minnows. If you have to use bait shop ice seal it up so that it doesn't leak into the bait water. Hope this helps.

" Fishing is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope "
Old 03-14-2003, 02:51 PM
Marbli

If all you are trying to do is keep them alive overnight, buy youself a styrofoam cooler. They are not expensive. Fill it full of water at bait shop. Put you minnows in cooler when done fishing for the day. You can duct tape lid shut if they are going to get a ruff ride. They will stay alive for a couple of days in the cooler in any weather. Some of these coolers leak, some don't, if I get a leaker I line it with a garbage bag. I have kept minnow in July during very hot weather for days with no problems.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:08 PM
recently retired

I keep mine alive for weeks. Ahead of time fill 5 gal. bucket with tap water/ let it set so the chlorine dissapates. Use a fish aquarium airator. change water every several days. They also make a chemical to take out the chlorine from tap water. Any pet section for fish has it.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Wallhanger

If you want a reddi made container, the best one that I've used is made by "Aerobait". Hopefully I have the name right. It's a 5 gal. round bucket with a battery powered, D cell, air pump built into the bottom. Nothing portrudes into the tank for the bait to run into, they get plenty of air and, the bucket is foam lined to help maintain the water temperature. The longest I've kept bait in mine was four days for fishing. I then released the unused bait to fend for themselves.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:38 PM
Minnow

Keep your minnows cool and have an aerator. Believe it or not I keep minnows alive for three weeks in the garage refrid.

J.W.B.

Old 03-14-2003, 07:24 PM
Minnow

I have an old aquarium, 20 gal. Kept 3 dozen alive for three months during the winter. Used just enough heat to keep the water from freezing, fed and aerated them.

Steve
Old 03-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Wallhanger

a five gallon bucket and a minno mizer, you can get it at BPS for 22.00 dollars, it not only gives them plenty of air but cools the water also, it runs off a 6 volt battery which will last forever it also floats and sprays a continuess mist or real fine spray whichs helps keep the water cool, you can keep medium sized minnows for weeks, ( approx, 6 to 8 dozen medium sized )