Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova 55 or 80 on Fish Hawk 1650 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Slot Fish

Default Terrova 55 or 80 on Fish Hawk 1650

I have a 2011 Crestiliner Fish Hawk 1650.

I'm upgrading to a Terrova IPilot. I currently have a PD2 55 - and it handles the boat fine, no issues really, even when its pretty windy. Wondering tho if its worth the $250ish to upgrade to the 80lbs? I believe battery placement wont be an issue, i think the battery tray up front under the rod storage has enough space. I'm exciting about the anchor lock feature, and don't want to worry about not staying place.

What are your thoughts? Obviously, the "bigger" the better - but there is a cost involved + cost and weight of another battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Wallhanger

The 55 will work just fine on that boat. The 80 will give you a much longer run time.

-Eli
Old 03-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Minnow

I have a 1650 Fishhawk and you can fit 2 27 series bateries under the rod locker. i have a 80lbs maxxum and really like. the batteries last longer with the 24v system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Slot Fish

how much longer runtime do you think we are talking? Right now i have a group 31 battery and get at least 5 hours with heavy use on the pd55...

I only fish "all day" on my trip to canada once a year, otherwise its a morning or evening outing.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Wallhanger

Default I fish 4 hours trolling with 55

I would go 80 ipilot going to be little spendy, need another battery,wire and motor,31 series battery holder. Either one is great I personally did not want to add another 70lb battery and the extra cost. If you fish every day go for it
Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Wallhanger

80 if you have room for the batteries.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Keeper

Default Al linder said

I once heard Al linder say on one of his show's buy the bigest trolling motor you can afford , And Like the mucho man I am, I thought BS Im not going to spend the extra 400 $$$ bucks for a 101, 80 is fine, now I wish I would have went with the bigger one .
Old 03-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Wallhanger

I have a 55AP on my Lund 1650.
Never had a issue with power or battery life.
If I can`t catch the fish I want after 5 hours trolling I call it a day.

How is that Fish Hawk? I been looking at Crestliners.

If you have a onboard charger where did you put it?
Is there room in the rod locker for both battery and charger?

Last edited by whofan; 03-21-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:52 AM
Wallhanger

If you're fishing open water on large lakes, where you'll have wind and waves to deal with ........ or if you're fishing long days especially on consecutive days ....... or if you're fishing rivers where you may have to deal with strong current ........ then I'd really consider the 80 lb motor. More power and longer run time can equal a lot less frustration.

But, if you're fishing for just a few hours at a time, and if you're not likely to be in much for wind or waves or current, then a 55 lb motor should be sufficient for your boat MOST of the time, maybe even ALL of the time.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Slot Fish

I have a LUND Explorer 1650 and a year ago I put a Terrove iPilot 55 on it with a new series 27 battery. After two days of fishing in very windy weather, the charge level on the Terrova shows me that I still have 50% charge. Also I have not met the wind that it will not move me into but when I do I know it's time to trailer the boat.

Also I really like launching the boat and deploying the tmotor. Then standing on the ramp and sending the boat to the dock remotely. I park it with spotlock about a boat length away and go park my truck. When I walk out on the dock I dog whistle to call the boat to me. That usually gets some pie eyed looks as the boat turns to comply.