Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
More Gas price complaining - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 08-17-2005, 07:05 AM
jdt

Default RE: More Gas price complaining

Interesting Point, somewhere I acctually read some kind of figure that if every one stayed home for 1 day, it would have a huge impace on gas prices. Not sure if it's acctually true, but it was interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 07:06 AM
jayjay

rmack you hit the nail on the head. I had the opportunity of hearing some oil people outside of this country. Quote: "If the american people really knew what the present administration was doing to make their campaign contributors billionaires, they would revolt."
Old 08-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Minnow

I don't remember when politicians didn't work for special interest groups, when was that exactly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

There is an oil field in Alberta Canada large enough to provide fuel for the entire nation of Canada for over 50 years. It has never been tapped.

These prices are not about reality they are about fear.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Schmuel

Sounds like BS to me.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

>There is an oil field in Alberta Canada large enough to
>provide fuel for the entire nation of Canada for over 50
>years. It has never been tapped.

You know that sounds like an extremely smart move on their part. Why tap your own reserves when you can use foreign oil.

>These prices are not about reality they are about fear.

I'd estimate that fear accounts for 20 to 30% of the current price of crude but please feel free to name one other commodity where the anticipation of future events (fear if you will) doesn’t influence current prices?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

>I don't remember when politicians didn't work for special
>interest groups, when was that exactly?

An outstanding question that anyone should be able to answer in a millisecond.

IMO, the truth shall set you free but not in Washington DC and that’s true regardless of which political party you profess your allegiance to. If it talks like a Duck, walks like a Duck
Old 08-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Hollis UL

Remember the toliet paper shortage when Johnny Carson made a joke about that it was happening? I understand that in some markets it did increase the price for a while. We burn/use crude oil each year at the rate of water that goes over Niagra falls in 8+ months. That a lot of liquid.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I agree w/ you Dodge1.

Bernie 50 years is a very short time in the total scope of things. Using that oil is short sighted in the long run. It works for us but what about our great great grand kids? There really is a finite supply, really!

I'm no where close to being an authority (who is, and if they say they are..... beware) but when I taught this stuff years ago during the last major increase/scare my limited research taught me two things.

Our own country sits on a very large oil supply. We choose not to tap into it for national security (we'll drain other nations' supply first). We need something for a backup if/when the current pipeline is shut off for various reasons.

Getting to some of our oil is very difficult therefore expensive compared to the relative ease of procuring oil from different countries. If supply and demand continues to jack up prices there will be US coastal oil (US off shore oil platforms) reopened that will help in a limited way. The prices need to continue upward and appear to staying there to make it economicly feasible for the companies that own them. At least that is what I learned the last time.

I always get a kick out of the conspiracy theories that ALWAYS appear during these times. Do you really believe that if someone had an answer that would make them lots of money they would not step forward? Political careers have/will be destroyed on this very topic. Heads always roll when we point fingers.

:rock-on:
Old 08-17-2005, 12:07 PM
sjunlogged

we all seem to drive v-8 strucks with boats that have 200-250HP on the back...why would we complain....:)SJ