Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
turning around with cranks - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2002, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Default turning around with cranks

What is the quickest way to turn around and go over the same spot when pulling crankbaits? Some teams seem really quick. I reel all in but one. Is there a better way? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2002, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: turning around with cranks

Practice. How short you can turn depends on how much line you have out, how many rods you have out, how far spaced your lines are apart, what type of line you're using, and your speed. If you have all your lines the same distance back with similar setups, you can turn pretty short, just so long as you keep any of the lines from going slack. Also, if you're running cranks that can handle the speed, speed up while your'e turning around.

A note on presentation though, if you find yourself turning around alot to cover the same small area, you should maybe think about a different presentation for that spot. No sense in wasting alot of time turning around with plugs if you can catch them casting plugs or jigging.

Personally, if we have 4 flat lines out, I'll pull the 2 middle lines. With one guy driving and one running lines in a tournament type situation, that works pretty good, until you throw planer boards and/or leadcore into the mix, then it gets a little ugly. Sometimes there just isn't a better way :)

Eyez
Old 03-22-2002, 02:03 PM
targa2

If I'm making a quick turn with boards I real the rods on the inside of the turn way in close to the boat so I can shorten the radius of the turn. I bring the inside one in literally ten feet from the end of the rod and the outside one about 30 feet. I also bring the inside rod of the outside radius of the turn in away from the outside board.Now my brain is inside out from explaining that!!!! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2002, 02:03 PM
Wallhanger

If you're pulling boards use one of the outer boards as your turning point. In other words, if you have four boards out (2 on each side)and you want to make a turn to port, use the outermost port board as a turning point. Don't let the line to this board go slack, keep the board upright and pivot around it. In all the years I've been trolling if I follow my own advise I don't tangle lines :-). If you have boards way out from the boat your turning radius will be greater, if they're in close your turning radius will be smaller. Hope this makes sense.

Best Regards,

FJH
Old 03-23-2002, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys!!! It makes sense.
Old 03-23-2002, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

First you have to make sure all of your cranks are tuned to perfection and can be pulled at high speeds. What I do is gun my kicker, and turn as sharply as I can, to the point the none of the cranks go slack. With short distances of line out you'd be suprised how tight you can turn. There are times that this is when the eye's like to jump on a crank too. If I'm running lots of line out I'll spead the cranks out with planer boards and do the same thing. Hope this helps...

" Fishing is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope "
Old 03-24-2002, 08:42 AM
Cangl

Turning your outside board and boat into the wind when avaiable also helps keep board tension (out) turning downwind will lower the board resistence which will bring the board closer to the boat and other lines.
Old 03-24-2002, 09:41 AM
Wallhanger

I run up to 4 baits off each side on big boards, which makes turning a major problem. I like to do figure 8s and ovals to get back over a spot. The oval works well when direction makes a difference, which it most always does.
dean