Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Seul Outposts Chamberlin Narrows - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-06-2017, 09:35 AM
Minnow

I'm hoping we don't run into the Mayfly hatch or the blackflies...My luck will be both..LOL. Chance you take this time of year. Wondering on water temp as well. Think we're going to hit the hatch or flies ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIZARD View Post
I'm hoping we don't run into the Mayfly hatch or the blackflies...My luck will be both..LOL. Chance you take this time of year. Wondering on water temp as well. Think we're going to hit the hatch or flies ?
We hit the mayfly hatch one year in mid June. Once over many many years. The year we did, we fished in areas that had more current and did fine. One day, we fished a fly pattern with a minnow on the hook ,to match the hatch, and caught quite a few walleye.

Black flies and skeeters weren't a problem at the time of the year you are going, from my past experience.

I'm going to guess the water temps will be in the low to mid 60s by the time you get there. Sounds like a rainy and cooler opener so far.

Don't forget to spend some downtime in the evenings fishing off the main dock . Sometimes the best fishing spot.

Have a great trip.

PjShorthorn
Old 06-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Minnow

Thanks Pat ! You've been a wealth of info and knowledge, I will let you know how we do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Minnow

Default 10 Days to go!

Thanks Pat, I really hope we avoid the mayflies. As you mentioned, the mosquitos should be ok out on the water, but they can be quite nasty when you are looking for firewood in the woods. I'll have to give the dock a try one of the nights, if I can get out of the boat. Should be light out until 10:00 each night. I'll see you in camp Wizard.

Mark
Old 06-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullman View Post
Thanks Pat, I really hope we avoid the mayflies. As you mentioned, the mosquitos should be ok out on the water, but they can be quite nasty when you are looking for firewood in the woods. I'll have to give the dock a try one of the nights, if I can get out of the boat. Should be light out until 10:00 each night. I'll see you in camp Wizard.

Mark
The good news is that you have a really nice wood stove in the cabin and they bring firewood to your cabin daily ! For shore lunches, pick the drift wood up on the shoreline. I never wanted to venture too far into the woods....I found where a bear crapped one time and that solved firewood hunting for me. LOL.

PjShorthorn
Old 06-07-2017, 07:54 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
The good news is that you have a really nice wood stove in the cabin and they bring firewood to your cabin daily ! For shore lunches, pick the drift wood up on the shoreline. I never wanted to venture too far into the woods....I found where a bear crapped one time and that solved firewood hunting for me. LOL.

PjShorthorn
We get our firewood off of a beaver hut. It is dry and easily accessible.
wmd
Old 06-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmd View Post
We get our firewood off of a beaver hut. It is dry and easily accessible.
wmd
Whoa.......those critters can jump in the boat and bite your nipple off before you even have a chance to grab a whomping stick.

PjShorthorn
Old 06-07-2017, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIZARD View Post
Thanks Pat ! You've been a wealth of info and knowledge, I will let you know how we do.
Gary and Mark,

One thing I forgot to mention about the section of Lac Seull you will be fishing on is that all your fish in possession must be dead. I'm pretty sure that holds true for other areas of the lake system too. So if you plan on keeping any fish for shore lunch,dinners or home you must dispatch them right away when you decide to keep them.

You don't want any flopping fish on a stringer, in a cooler or in a live well if the MNR were to pull up for a chat.

PjShorthorn
Old 06-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Minnow

Yes PJ, I heard this rule and thought it kind of odd, but whatever, sound good to me. See you in camp Bullman ! Pic of my boat and new truck to haul it with the 1,230 miles ! Changing wheel bearing tonight on my trailer and just bought a brand new aluminum prop to change over as stainless is a gear buster! New nav chip for boat, expensive trip and I haven't even got there yet , LOL. Cheers guys and thanks for info PJ !
Old 06-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Minnow

PJ, I had questioned this rule when I heard of it and was informed that it was to prevent culling. Not sure why this is in place for this body of water but not for the majority of other Canadian waters. I have a cooler packed to ice the fish down in the boat. Guess this is a good reason to bleed them out when selecting your shore lunch fish. See you in camp Wizard.