Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Oil coming out of Intake...HELP - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Wallhanger

Default Oil coming out of Intake...HELP

Had the boat out for opener and got home late last night and today I noticed what looks like oil coming out of the intake. I called two Marinas and one of them said I for sure had a seal go out, and the secdon said it was nothing to worry about and this is just burn off since this is just the second time the motor was out for the year.
See attached pictures showing the "oil" coming out, and the spot on the ground it made fomr overnight.
Anyone know what the cause is?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	15821   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	15822   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil3.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	15823  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 07:01 PM
droptine300

I couldn't see your pics. I have yamaha 225 2 stroke. When I would pump the bulb it wouldn't get hard and oil was coming out the exhaust. I had a bad fuel pump. It seemed to run okay except wide open. Don't know if this helps but thought I would throw it out there for you.

However, I wouldn't run it until I got it checked out. Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Before jumping to any conclusion, pull out the bottom lower unit drain plug, but be ready to put your finger over the hole.

When you remove the lower unit drain plug, let a bit of fluid come out of the lower unit. If the fluid looks completely normal and essentially like it die when it was put in with no sign or water or a milky color to the oil, you can be pretty sure that you don't have a seal issue.

Also, I do agree with the one posting who said that it was likely the remnants of fogging oil from winter storage.

I have had the same thing happen to me on my motor after its first after storage outing.

As long as you have checked the oil, take it out again and see how it goes. Then, see if the oil dripping stops after some extensive running.

But as is always the case, with a new rig it is a good idea to check the condition of the lower unit every few times that you go out, and always check the lower unit oil, if you ever have a bottom strike with the lower unit.

Good luck
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Keeper

I would get it checked out before you take it out again.

I had a similar problem like that. It seemed to go away, but later proved to be an expensive repair not to mention 4 weeks without a boat. Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Wallhanger

You don't say what kind of motor it is; two stoke or four, but either way, I don't see how oil can be coming out of the water intake without a serious problem.

I would think you can tell the difference between gear oil and motor oil, but you should check the lower unit as REW suggests.

Jerry
Old 05-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Wallhanger

Pulled the lower unit screw and had water coming out as others sugested.
Looks to be a seal...Boat going into marina tomorrow AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Wallhanger

Default Gear Lube

Your upper gear case seal is shot. That's the one that is under the water pump impeller. Might just as well have them change out the impeller when they pull the lower unit.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Wallhanger

Default Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Before jumping to any conclusion, pull out the bottom lower unit drain plug, but be ready to put your finger over the hole.

When you remove the lower unit drain plug, let a bit of fluid come out of the lower unit. If the fluid looks completely normal and essentially like it die when it was put in with no sign or water or a milky color to the oil, you can be pretty sure that you don't have a seal issue.

Also, I do agree with the one posting who said that it was likely the remnants of fogging oil from winter storage.

I have had the same thing happen to me on my motor after its first after storage outing.

As long as you have checked the oil, take it out again and see how it goes. Then, see if the oil dripping stops after some extensive running.

But as is always the case, with a new rig it is a good idea to check the condition of the lower unit every few times that you go out, and always check the lower unit oil, if you ever have a bottom strike with the lower unit.

Good luck
REW
Thats not on the exhaust side. It's gear lube.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Silverlake View Post
Your upper gear case seal is shot. That's the one that is under the water pump impeller. Might just as well have them change out the impeller when they pull the lower unit.
Yep, that's what they thought as well when I dropped it off this morning. They also recommended I put in the new pump since they are in there anyway, and I agreed.