Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Keeper

Default Terrova question

The motor is running slow, but I attribute that to the batteries on their 5th season. The question I have is when I manually rotate the prop it spins reasonably tight, like I can feel the armature fiipping from magnet to magnet. The old power drive I still have rotates with out any bumps when I spin it.

Is what I described normal, or did I do a bad job describing it lol. I did clean out under the prop, not really much worth mentioning under there.

Cgolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

YES you should feel the magnetic resistance, as in short stages
You should not feel any type of grinding.

take a volt meter and read the batteries voltages AT the battery post themselves, what it it you are seeing?
Old 05-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Keeper

Just have noticed that I need to bump it up to 3 or greater to move in anything but flat calm. The only tough part is our vacation lake had been ridiculous the last 2 years with wind, I think I have only seen 1 flat calm day, where as in the past I had like 5 each week. It just feels like I need to use more power to move than in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2015, 09:02 PM
Keeper

Measured both batteries. After about 3 hours of running between 2-4 one was at 12.7 and the other was at 12.8.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Not the batteries, as those voltages still reflect nearly a 100% charge if the meter is correct.
Then I'd check the voltage at the plug as well.

A motor that is having difficulties in turning the armature which is also the prop shaft would draw more amps from the batteries.
Have you removed the prop to make sure there is no line or possible other debris wrapped around the shaft? this normally would not slow the motor much.
At the same time you can check the shear pin, just to make sure it is not broke and slipping when under load.
How old is this terrova? used alot? if so thinking maybe new brush kit, but only after they are inspected first

With how you explain the prop feels when spun by hand is 100% normal
and to expect to move a hull much on #1 or #2 power from a stand still is gong to take a little time getting the weight moving.
I only use them setting to help maintain a speed/drift/course

Last edited by cyber16; 05-03-2015 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Keeper

Cool, I think that I got spoiled the first couple of years I had it where it was so calm I could move around cover at setting 1 or 2 at no problem. Even with the 80 lb motor with a 16 ft aluminum boat, the back just gets blown around like crazy in the wind, that will never change, and the last couple of years have for some reason seemed to have more windy fishing days.

I did clean of the prop shaft, there was a bit of weeds but not too much.

Thanks for the info, and it sounds like the batteries are still good, I think that it may just be I know their age and I have it in my head they need to be replaced when they don't need it. I will definitely try to get this brand of battery again since they last so well, either that or the terrova is super easy on batteries.