Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Cabelas Pro Series Charger - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Wallhanger

Default Cabelas Pro Series Charger

Picked up one of these on sale yesterday and am planning to add length to one of the wires. I was a bit surprised to see the big "Do not cut wires, this may damage charger or batteries". I was planning on cutting before the fuse, adding whatever length I needed and then adding back the fuses and ends. Why would me adding any length of wire affect the charger? They say to use the extensions they sell (who would have guessed) to safely do this.

Another stunt to make money or a legit issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

I'd tend to agree, this is just an excuse to sell high-priced extension kits. But, Cabelas claims that they are designed by ProMariner, below is their contact information, can't hurt to give them a call and ask.
HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProMariner.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	14199  
Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Wallhanger

Called Pro Mariner and found out that the labels are for idiots basically. Dont do anything your not capable of doing. The gent also said that cutting the wires before the fuses would void the warranty. That may present some installation challenges but good info none the less....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 04:35 AM
fLyInOnH2O

I picked up one in the bargin cave as well.
My Starting battery is a gell cell and the instructions state to modify the charger for this type of battery.
Ok so if down the road I go back to regular battery then what??
Old 03-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Wallhanger

Switch it back....
Old 03-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

I'll suggest you solder the wires when putting on extensions. Marine charges work on resistance - if you crimp your connections it would not surprise me if the charger will throw a fault code instead of charging. Can you guess - happened to me?

I crimped in new fuse holders after originals corroded. Then I did the job a second time and soldered the wires - worked perfectly after second attempt. Every single bank threw the error light after the first attempt.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Wallhanger

I have made it a habit to solder everything that will have a chance of being exposed to an moisture. Thank you for the tip thou!!