Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
G Loomis guys--recommendations for..... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Wallhanger

Default G Loomis guys--recommendations for.....

Here is my main fishing style.

I am looking to get a G Loomis this year to add to my walleye jigging arsenal.

I jig flats 5-16 feet with mainly an 1/8th oz. jig moving around about 1 mph. I like to put plenty of jigging action on the lure or minnow. I am usually on med/big lakes with pretty good clarity so I like plenty of line out as well.

I am a St Croix guy but, looking to add the right G Loomis this year.

Looking for opinions on a G loomis that might fit that style of fishing.....

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Keeper

Thumbs up Sjr 721

Try the SJR 721 IMX. It is a 6 footer, spinning, fast tip but light enough for 1/8 oz jigs. I like the feel and balance of the IMX series. The butt part of the handle is short so it gets in the way less (not poking me in the coat pocket, etc.). Rod is light and sensitive. I have a handfull of assorted St Croixs and always always always reach for the IMXs.

From the gloomis web site:
These are special, fast-action rods designed to give warm-water spin fishermen the power and performance of a casting rod in a spinning configuration. While many of these rods are similar to our casting models in both actions and power-ratings, they are rated for slightly lighter line because spinning reels traditionally don’t handle heavier line as well as a casting reel and in most cases, using “heavy” line (17-pound test or higher) drastically reduces casting distance and performance, even with oversized guides. These rods were originally developed for fishing soft plastics for smallmouth bass, but have since been discovered by walleye anglers for vertical jigging applications as well as grubs and light bottom-bounce rigs. There are five different power “groups”, ranging from 2- to 17-pound test line. Many of these rods are suitable for light saltwater use. They are powerful, efficient tools capable of handling a variety of line and lures sizes. They are just what the doctor ordered for bass, walleye and pike on the freshwater side and you’ll find a number of ways to use them in light saltwater applications. They are light, sensitive and extremely accurate. The more popular models are available in GLX, IMX, GL3 and GL2. Others are available in the most popular size and material based on consumer demand.

Item # Model Rod Length Handle Pieces Line Weight Lure Weight Action Power Price
10205-01 SJR 721 IMX 6' A 1 6 - 10 1/16 - 5/16 Fast Light $250.00
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Wallhanger

I like the looks of that one--good for plastics too looks like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I have the SJR 721 in the GLX model.

I love if for my verticle jigging rod, and have it paired with a small Tica Cetus reel (think light). That reel pretty much makes the combo just a verticle jigging rod, no dragging or pitching - not enough line capacity.

It's so light, finicky fish will make that combo jump on the lightest bite.

Like it very well, the GLX seemed to be a bit heavier than the same model IMX. Either would be valued. There was also a similar model with an Ex Fast tip, that would be one to compare.

But, for dragging a jig, or pitching plastics, I would be looking at a longer rod. 6"6" to 7'2" with 6'9" a target. I have a 6'9" rigging rod I love, but it's not a Loomis.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Wallhanger

I debated between the 721 and 720 and chose the lighter 720 and have been very pleased. I do use braid with a fluoro leader and it seems to be a great set up.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Wallhanger

FYI - I fish a lot with both St. Croix and Loomis and find Loomis a hair stiffer. Both great rods, can't go wrong...

Last edited by FryDog62; 12-13-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

I think if your dragging jigs vs a vertical presentation I'd go 7' in length.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Wallhanger

I do drag them but, usually there is more action on it than that. I use all 6'6" rods right now.

St. Croix:

Legend Tournaments
Elites

I love the St Croix rods but have been interested in get a GLoomis for a while to see how they feel firsthand.

I am undecided if I want to go longer with some back bone or shorter for an ultralight set-up.

I am in the weeds quite a bit so probably leaning toward the 7' footer with some back bone.