Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Looking for input - Mattice Lake Outfitters - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Keeper

Default Looking for input - Mattice Lake Outfitters

Hey there
I was hoping to get some feedback on a few of MLO's lakes for a 2018 trip
For our group our focus would be primarily on numbers for walleye
Secondary focus would be on the opportunity for + 25 inch walleyes
Pike are not a big focus for us
I would say we are also interested in a small to medium sized lake (lets say 2000 - 5000 acres)
Big enough to not get bored but small enough to concentrate fishing efforts/not get blown off the lake

Right now most intriguing lakes to us are:
Pringle
Vick
Hurst
Weese

Just interested in others opinions on which lake you think fits with our fishing criteria
Thanks in advance
Gordy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2017, 07:46 AM
Slot Fish

Gordy

I can only speak of Pringle lake from our experience 2 years ago.
Numbers were incredible with the majority of the fish anywere from
16"-20". Managed to hook into a few larger but never any +25" Walleye, but you would think they would be there someplace. Hooked into fewer than
12 northerns the entire week with the largest up around 10lbs.

Pringle is a great lake with excellent accommodations. Wind was a major factor only on one day when we were fishing on the eastern end and the
wind kicked up from the west. It was a wet slow ride back to the cabin.

Dinner can be pulled in right from the dock!

You'll be hard pressed to find any better outfitter than Mattice and a phone call to Don Elliot may be better at answering some of your questions.

Have a great time!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Keeper

Thanks!
Very helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2017, 01:45 PM
Slot Fish

Gordy

You are welcomed! Hopefully you'll get some feedback from others in reference to the lakes you mentioned! My wife and I are going to
Auger Lake with Mattice in August! Can't wait and it's never too early to start planning your trip!

Jeff
Old 03-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Minnow

I am taking my two boys to Pringle this Summer, July 20th, for the first time. Plan to write something up on it. Pretty stoked.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeler View Post
Gordy

You are welcomed! Hopefully you'll get some feedback from others in reference to the lakes you mentioned! My wife and I are going to
Auger Lake with Mattice in August! Can't wait and it's never too early to start planning your trip!

Jeff
Spent a week last May/June at Auger with my brother. Despite the coldest weather I have ever endured in Canada, we had at least two 200 walleye days. MLO is first class all the way, and I so much appreciated the fact that Don allowed a party of 2 to fly in. Would love to go back to Auger--the cabin is very nice, and everything worked well. Nice small lake, easy to fish and to navigate. Don marked the maps very well, and all we did was follow his directions around the lake.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:35 AM
Keeper

Thanks all. Appreciated very much. Pringle is high on our list and hasn't looked at Auger. Will now! Really interested in Weese and Hurst as well. Hopefully I get some feedback on those two as there aren't a ton Of reports when I search and most are quite old
Posting this from Punta Cana and it's 81 degrees much better than home where it was 0 and snowing when we left. Life is good lol
Cheers
Gordy
Old 03-05-2017, 07:48 AM
Keeper

Gordy

I'm on shift this weekend but once done I'll get u some info on Hurst as I get sometime this week.

My quick opinion is its an awesome lake.

Mike
Old 03-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Wallhanger

I have no experience with MLO, but everyone knows they have a stellar reputation. I would love to book any of their lakes.

So, just from a dummies perspective, I'd forget about Vick. It's stated as a predominantly Pike lake. Which wouldn't make sense for you guys.

Pringle, looks like a boring lake to me. I like lakes with plenty of islands, bays etc. Pringle doesn't offer much of that.

Auger, Hurst and Weese all look like great options to me. A lot of interesting looking areas to fish. Hurst used to have another camp on it, but I don't think it's in use any more. It's probably big enough to support two camps though. Weese is like three lakes in one.

However, it sounds like Auger might suit your group the best given the portage lakes. Guerin might also be worth a look if you like hitting portage lakes. If you have no interest in portage lakes, Weese or Hurst might make better choices, especially if your group is 6+.

Anyway, just an armchair cowboy's opinion.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by adempsey2.0 View Post
I have no experience with MLO, but everyone knows they have a stellar reputation. I would love to book any of their lakes.

So, just from a dummies perspective, I'd forget about Vick. It's stated as a predominantly Pike lake. Which wouldn't make sense for you guys.

Pringle, looks like a boring lake to me. I like lakes with plenty of islands, bays etc. Pringle doesn't offer much of that.

Auger, Hurst and Weese all look like great options to me. A lot of interesting looking areas to fish. Hurst used to have another camp on it, but I don't think it's in use any more. It's probably big enough to support two camps though. Weese is like three lakes in one.

However, it sounds like Auger might suit your group the best given the portage lakes. Guerin might also be worth a look if you like hitting portage lakes. If you have no interest in portage lakes, Weese or Hurst might make better choices, especially if your group is 6+.

Anyway, just an armchair cowboy's opinion.

Yea, you are correct, Pringle is pretty "boring" (not). I do understand what you are saying however as wanting a bit more interesting topography. Totally with you on that!
However we were never bored catching walleye one after another. Even took some time to hike a bit along some of it's beautiful shores and wade along one of the sandy shorelines. There's sufficient structure here too, but it doesn't have trees growing on it! My wife and I would definitely go back and enjoy the solitude esp with the big covered porch while watching the Northern Lights! Mattice in our book offers a "top notch" professional service!