Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Home Grown Tackle:The Wonderful World of Jig's - Page 41 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT Archives

Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Wallhanger

I use a Renzetti Vise. It's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but it is of very high quality. The only adjustment I ever make is the clamp to hold or release the hook and I can rotate it freely or leave it stationary. Either way it's solid.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Wallhanger

Cabelas is having a 25% fly tying material starting Thursday 3-15. I know folks who tie their own might be intrested.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecatcher01 View Post
Im wanting to upgrade my cheap vise to something that can be rotated while still keeping hold of the jig. I looked at janns net craft and they are sold out of about everything. So I would appreciate some suggestions on brands or stores where can pick up a vice along with other jig making/tying stuff.
I'm think about a terra rotating spring action....wanting to stay under 50 bucks.
There are lots of decent vises under 50 bucks that do exactly what you want. Sure, there are expensive vices but they offer the ability to hold hooks that are very small to quite large. Some expensive vices will not hold a large hook very well. Some inexpensive vices hold jigs very well but do not hold small hooks well.

I've been making flies for over 35 years and my vise cost me about 30 dollars. The pin that held the lever for tightening the jaws of the vise broke almost right away...lol. I just changed the pin and put a small drill bit in it's place. Has been working ever since. However, it does not hold tiny hooks perfectly and does not hold very large hooks perfectly either. I still manage to make flies, streamers, tandem streamers, bugs, jigs, dress treble hooks etc anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Minnow

Default Large pointy headed jigs?

I'd like to pour some larger jigs with pointed heads for fast, deep current; does anyone have a mold they like that pours 3/4 ounce up to a couple ounces they might recommend I take a look at?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Anderson View Post
I'd like to pour some larger jigs with pointed heads for fast, deep current; does anyone have a mold they like that pours 3/4 ounce up to a couple ounces they might recommend I take a look at?
I use these in heavy current fishing around jetty's on big inletts you might have to modify the hook for fresh water I use them in salt water.
Style 9 Shad Head Jig

FC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	style_9_shad.gif
Views:	146
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	14366  
Old 03-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Keeper

Tom
I agree with FC = that the shad head jig would probably be pretty close to what your looking for. You also may want to check some salt water forums and see what you can find.
I am guessing with a few exceptions that most eye guys here are using 3/8 oz jigs or lighter.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Minnow

Thumbs up Home Grown Tackle:The Wonderful World of Jig's

Guys and Gals,
Just trying to add my picture to a replyClick image for larger version

Name:	Xrapman 10 crappies 3 sm perch and a whopper 13 1 2 inch perch.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	486.8 KB
ID:	14403
Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer09 View Post
Guys and Gals,
Just trying to add my picture to a replyAttachment 14403
Nice perch! I see you're also from PA. Where did you catch it?
Old 03-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Minnow

Thumbs up Home Grown Tackle:The Wonderful World of Jig's

Guys and Gals,
Foursize,
I got that big perch fishing at charlie's campground, N>Y> Onieda Lake, North Side. Turn right on Rt 49 off 81 north, and at golf course, turn right and follow signs to Charlies. I used my own 14 ft boat, There, was a $10 boat fee at ramp, and a tackle store for bait and lures and jigs, Very Nice People running the place, from the ramp turn left and continue where it comes out to bay, (very shallow, sandy) straight ahead and 50 ft off the point just ahead of you.
It is pretty clear water and my fishing buddies had a huge school of perch go right past there boat and couldn't even get a bite, WOW.
It was a wk or so before Walleye opened.
Keep a tight line,

As you enter Charlie's and to your left, there a small pond there and one
year I really got lots of crappies right out of that little pond, and many
perch in the bay right behind his house.
Also, nearby , less than a mile away is two canals that hold a lot of
Crappies early season, If your to early for the crappies, find first dropoff
out from bay or canal and you'll find a load of them , if there is cover,
Wow.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Minnow

Well I finnially got to go out and tried my jigs that I painted or tied. My fishing buddies were a little jealous, the pic shows why. The top fish is one off my 2 and the bottom fish is what my buddies were catching. They caught more but mine were bigger.