Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fish Food - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2001, 03:14 AM
Keeper

Default Fish Food

Trying to locate where I can buy fish food to feed sunfish, crappies etc. They will eat cat food but the pieces are too
big in most cases. Have heard that there is a trout feed but don't know where to locate it. I live in central Minnesota. Let me know if you know where I can find some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2001, 03:23 AM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Fish Food

you can get bloodworms at most places you can buy fish.
also crappie minnows are good to use.

i havent found a "canned food" that works real well, be careful
the stuff just doesnt fall to bottom.

if you feed live bait, keep your biological filter going and
watch your fish for the first sign of ick. in fact watch
closely for white spots or fuzz on your fish regardless of
what you feed them.....

but crappie minnows are the best.

curt quesnell
Old 05-05-2001, 08:37 AM
cisco

Any DNR hatchery, public or private rearing pond, or even the experimental psychology lab at the University of Minnesota will be able to give you a list of suppliers.

Purina makes all sorts of chows besides dog chow -- they have specialized feed for catfish farms and trout farms, but they also have other pellets used for a variety of species.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2001, 02:33 PM
Juls_WI

We have a tank at the baitshop with bluegills, sunfish, bullheads and perch in it. 7 or 8 fish in all. We just feed them about a dozen and a half of crappie minnows (small fatheads) every other day. They scarf them up and get really big and fat, fast.
The only time we have lost fish is when the power would go out, due to a storm or something, and the aerators would be off for a long period of time. I lost my favorite perch the last time a storm went through. Poor lil' bugger..:'( They suffocate pretty fast in an aquarium.
Keep the tank clean, and your fish should stay healthy for a long time or at least until there ready for the frying pan! Just kidding...just kidding! ;-)

Juls

Old 05-05-2001, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

In Florida bluegill fishermen bait holes with hog feed, hog finisher, soy meal, rabbit pellets and horse feed.

I bait shiner holes with hog feed or hog finisher and after a few days we start catching too many bluegills and sometimes have to abandon the hole and start a new one for shiners.

All of the above sink.

I have seen fish food sold to children to feed fish in ponds and it looks just like hog feed to me.

It comes in bags at farm feed stores and is about $7.00 for a 40 or 50 pound bag.

Old 05-07-2001, 10:46 AM
Wallhanger

So did you eat it? :)
Old 05-07-2001, 08:59 PM
lobo

If you just have a a dozen or less in an aquarium or a back yard tub - feed floating cichlid pellets (pet warehouse on the web or any local pet store). Stay away from any live food IF you want to reduce the possibility of introducing parasites and disease to your tank/tub.
If you have a full fledged pond with hundreds or thousands of fish I would go to any local grain elevator or Farm Fleet type store and they should stock floating trout pellets.
If your fish are farm raised from the start, you should try and avoid store bought (wild) fatheads and go with farm raised. If your fish were caught in the wild a 10$ pail from the baitshop makes for a nice snack.
If your fish are wild and are in a pond - stock the largest golden shiners you can find. When they reproduce - you get free food and when they grow larger they can really smack a mepps "0".

lobo
Old 05-08-2001, 05:54 PM
Kathy

We buy ours for feeding the fish in our farm pond at a feed barn or farm implement stores (like Tractor Supply or Quality Farm and Fleet). We've found that Purina is the best due to the pieces being of varied sizes for the various size fish (bluegill, cats). We have been feeding our fish for only one year now and they have almost quadrupled in size. We feed them daily (well, ok, we TRY to feed them daily) during the time the water temp is 56 degrees or higher. If you cannot find Purina, look up an internet search for Jones Fish Hatchery just outside of Cincinnati, Ohio. They are the best for getting you set up and continuing with your farm pond and answering your questions/problems.