Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fluoro leader knot question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-18-2005, 07:19 AM
NAL_unlog

Default Fluoro leader knot question

Is a back-to-back uni-knot a reliable connection to attach a fluoro leader to a Power Pro or equivalent main line? I tried a few and they seemed to work, but haven't fished 'em yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 08:03 AM
MOWalleyeguy1

Default RE: Fluoro leader knot question

Thats the knot I use and have had awesome success. I have had 1 failure but that was due to a hangup and thats where the line broke/came apart...plus that knot hadnt been re-tied in months so it really was my fault.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

It's the best connection between the two line types - just be sure to moisten the flouro before tightening. Chuckles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Minnow

What is the benefit of adding the fluoro leader? Is it because the walleyes can see the main line?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Keeper

That's the only advantage I know of
Old 05-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I personally think that the best knot of power pro to florocarbon is NONE.

i.e. tie the power pro directly to the terminal tackle and go on.

If you want to use a leader, then use a small swivel. Use a palamor knot to tie the florocarbon leader to the swivel, and then use a palamor knot to tie the swivel leader assembly to the main line.

You need to do it in this order, if you use the palamor knot due to tag end considerations.

With the palamor knot, you have two lines running through the swivel, and it is a knot that nearly never fails.

In most instances, there is little need for a leader that is any longer than about 4 feet, so a swivel takes care of the knot issues, as well as any potential bait spinning issues.

Take care
REW
Old 05-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

REW is partially correct - but a little longer leader than a couple feet and a double uni allows me to reel the knot into the guides without danger of damaging a guide with a swivel. We use this set-up for casting cranks. Even with a swivel and the palomar you need to moisten the flouro and cinch it slowly to reduce friction, which creates enough heat to damage the flouro - it will break at the knot every time if caution is not used. I have had times casting for smallies in the summer with clear water where a flouro leader upped the odds of getting bit by 4-5 times... can say this is a catch and release river area and the fish are caught repeatedly all summer long - nice mouth scars evident on many. It does make a nice case study though, which can be applied to clear water and finicky fish elsewhere. One other sidebar is if the difference in diameters between the flouro and spectra line is great then use a spider hitch to double up the spectra - makes for a better union. Your results may vary - I like the double uni and think it has a place in your arsenal or tricks. Chuckles
Old 05-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

The back to back uni is what I always use, but I was taught to double the braid with a spider hitch or surgeons end loop to compensate for the diameter difference between the two lines.