Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Theft in the Falls - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-03-2018, 12:24 PM
Wallhanger

Default Theft in the Falls

The pickup truck thread got me to thinking. Have any of you guys had anything stolen from your vehicle or boat while parked at an International Falls hotel/motel. I've been going up since the 70's, stopping in the Falls most of the time, and haven't had a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2018, 12:53 PM
Keeper

Default Theft

We stay across the border in Fort Frances. Have done that going on 10+ years. We have ranged from a regular truck with open box and just a tarp over things to roof top carriers. Never had anything stolen.

We are generally selective on a parking spot that is well lit in an area that you can easily see from the lobby or other business.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I generally stay at Baudette, I've had no problem there. Heard about guys who stopped at a motel 1/2 way to Snow Lake, Manitoba, a few years ago. When they got to their destination next day, found out all their tackle in the boat was gone. Cover had been lifted, then neatly returned to position. A real shocker.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Krejca; 05-03-2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Keeper

I have stayed in International Falls at least ten times in the past 12 years on the Thursday or a Friday before walleye opener and never had a problem, knock on wood.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:39 PM
Wallhanger

I had my drivers seat stolen while the boat was stored at the dealer this year. They called and said they will replace it.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Wallhanger

Have stayed over 20 times at the Super 8 in Fort Francis, (always on thurs night, our camp is fri to fri) and have never had a problem. Well Lit, along with lots of other groups doing the same, and a Bostons Pizza next door to add even more activity to discourage any offenders. But the open beds of the trucks are tarped and well secured, and the boats are covered as well.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
Have stayed over 20 times at the Super 8 in Fort Francis, (always on thurs night, our camp is fri to fri) and have never had a problem. Well Lit, along with lots of other groups doing the same, and a Bostons Pizza next door to add even more activity to discourage any offenders. But the open beds of the trucks are tarped and well secured, and the boats are covered as well.
Ditto FF Super 8. Never had a problem, but we never leave anything of value in the boat. Everything is locked (for what that is worth) inside the truck topper and covered with a black patterned blanket to occlude any "lookers".

I have been told of items stolen on both sides of the border, but I think it is rare. One has to just use common sense about your own security. A serious thief will get what he wants, but the impulse thief usually is kept at bay with a little common sense on our part.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 05-04-2018, 12:15 AM
Wallhanger

Default La Place Renzde-vous

Have stayed at the Renzde-vous and never had a problem. I have a soft camper top which would be easy to get into but have never had a problem.

Last edited by NARDA 1; 05-04-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:27 AM
Wallhanger

I try to "lock the barn before the horse is out", 300 others may never have had a problem with getting anything stolen, I don't want to be the first! Pooch said it well, use some common sense, there are a lot of thieves out there!
Old 05-04-2018, 05:45 AM
Wallhanger

Default Motion Detector

I purchased the attached but haven't had a chance to try it yet. Thought is to put it inside my boat under the cover when parked at a motel and the receiver in the motel room. Could do the same putting it under a tarp, inside a container, etc... You'd have to make sure where ever you put it no motion occurred, i.e., the cover being tight or wind blowing the cover may set it off. Anyway, just another thought/option. If it goes off, then I have the choice of running outside in my underwear or shooting out the motel window. LOL!

https://www.harborfreight.com/wirele...tem-93068.html

Last edited by Shotgun; 05-04-2018 at 05:57 AM.