Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ruined a die today - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Follow up on ruined die

Received new full length die yesterday. After cleaning the new die I ran another thirty pieces of the same once fired brass through without even the slightest hint of one sticking.

I think I had a Redding die that was out of spec from the get go.

I do use the Imperial die lube, but I don't like the feel of the brass with the Imperial on it after it comes out of the die so I usually run it back through the tumbler. You would think that even with such a tiny bit of Imperial on the casing that it wouldn't even be noticeable, but it bugs me.

I also reclean the die after use to get rid of any residual lube from inside the die. Seems that it's possible for any lube to "build up" inside a die. Am I right or wrong on that point?

Thanks for the input from all of you guys.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Wallhanger

Imperial die wax is the best! It's not water soluble, so I clean the lube off with a cloth with liquid lighter fluid on it. My wife doesn't like the smell (she does like Hoppes #9), so large batches of waxy brass are cleaned in the garage.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: .Montana.......where the men are men, the women are men, and the sheep are scared.

Another thumbs up for Imperial. I used everything else on the market for 25 years before someone recommended this stuff. Nothing other product I ever tried is in the same class.

Next time, though, put the die with the stuck case in the freezer overnight as mentioned before, then get after it with a stuck case remover. I have never had one stuck so tight I could not remove it with this method, even when forming cases.