Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best "casting" baitcast reel - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2001, 06:15 AM
EB

Default Best "casting" baitcast reel

The lake I just moved to has a large population of pike/musky and bass besides being a fairly good walleye lake. So in the efforts of finally expanding my fishing horizons I now have to learn how to cast with a baitcasting outfit. Can anybody recommend something that would help me keep backlashes to a minimum so I don't get too discouraged and give up. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2001, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Default RE: Best "casting" baitcast reel

Nice problem to encounter! You'll probably get lots of opinions on this one...Here's two cents' worth: if you have the budget the Shimano Calcutta (around $199) is strong, incredibly smooth for casting and retrieving, very forgiving and highly adjustable for casting without backlashes as well.
Many muskie and pike anglers also consider the Ambassadeur / Abu Garcia 5500 and 6500 series reels to be solid performers and the best go-to reels under $100.
Recommendation: Shimano Calcutta model CT 400 reel and a 7 or 7 1/2 foot St. Croix rod.
Humor hint: practice - practice - practice! "it ain't the reel that backlashes - it's the fisherman":-)
P.S. Many anglers have nailed their personal best walleye, bass, etc while fishing big baits and plugs for pike or 'skies. Go Get'em!!!
P.P.S. Rather than loading up on several rods and reels may I instead suggest one premium set up for the same or less total investment? Just a thought.
TrollerMan
Where's your lake?
Old 08-28-2001, 07:45 AM
Slot Fish

There are a lot of quality reels out there, but the key is to learn how not to backlash. Most of the anti-backlash reels out there will limit the distance on your casts, and you probably will outgrow them relatively quickly. I would instead just be patient and practice your casting. Start with heavier lures and shorter casts. Gradually work up to smaller baits and longer casts as you gain confidence. Also, don't cast into the wind when you're starting out.

Good luck.

P.S. At one time I found a good baitcasting tutorial on the web. If I can find it again, I'll post it for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2001, 08:02 AM
Keeper

I dont use bait casters to often but do have two of them. Theres a rule I learned and it hasnt let me down yet. When casting, no mater what lure. make shure that the weight from the lure is always pulling on the line. Most of the time when there is "slack" between the weight and the line you will get a back lash. Also if using top water lures while casting. the ones that can skip on the water after they hit. i suggest putting your finger on the spool to slow them down before they hit the water and for it doesnt create another back last. I would suggest just buying an Abu Garcia C3 series to start out with. If you dont like it, you didnt spend to much money and im pretty shure you will find some one to take the rod and reel off your hands, if you like it you will have a reel that will last a long time and didnt pay that much money for it. Just my opinion
Old 08-28-2001, 08:52 AM
EB

Thanks for the input, I know that practice is the cornerstone of this whole process, and I plan on getting alot of it. FYI TrollerMan it's Lake Holcombe, a flowage in Wisconsin north of Eau Claire about 50 miles. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-28-2001, 10:44 AM
Jon

EB,
Go with the bass fishing industry standard-Shimano Curado and St. Croix or G.Loomis 6'-6" Fast tip, medium weight rod. You will not regret the purchase. And I agree, practice makes perfect.
Old 08-28-2001, 12:57 PM
cisco

I don't even want to count the baitcasters I own, but they include Shakespeare, Pfluger, Daiwa, Quantum, Pinnacle, Shimano, and others. However, my favorite baitcasters are Abu Garcia. I don't care about high-end pricey reels, they are no better than the C series. Distance, dependability, long life, all the things you want are in Abu.
Old 08-28-2001, 02:48 PM
Shed Hunter

shimano calcuta next question!
Old 08-28-2001, 05:11 PM
Gord

IMHO... any of the reels mentioned are good. buy one that is comfortable for you to handle. be sure to get one that is big enough for whatever kind of fishing you plan to do. Too big is just heavey and clumsey to use. I find the palming style reels more comfortable to use than the soup can style. Read the instructions and adjust your reel "by the book". When you first start out and are just practicing, I'd suggest a brightly colored weight and a limp hi vis line like golden stren. you'll be able to see where it goes and what it's doing. use it in a heavier weight line like perhaps 27lb test. it's easier to see and untangle. go out and practice in an open field like a park. stay away from bushes, trees, fences, buildings, people etc. put your brain in your thumb. concentrate on thumbing the spool. make smooth gentle casts. never try to whip it with pure speed and power. start off with shorter casts and get the feel of things. always keep your thumb as close to the spool as possible. thumb your spool gradually and gently towards the end of your cast. to avoid backlashes gently stop the spool completely just before the weight hits the grass (water). whenever possible, avoid casting into the wind. casting into the wind is one of the biggest causes of backlashes. practice, practice, practice in the park. use a colored plastic gallon jug as a target. keep changing up and casting from varying distances. my last suggestion is buy a left handed reel and get used to it. you will be able to hold the rod in your right hand and "keep it there" while you turn the handle with your left hand. think of it like a baseball glove. would you wear a right handed glove to catch the ball,then take the glove off and hold it in your left hand so that your right hand is free to throw the baseball? nobody in their right mind would catch and throw with the same hand. Why then do fishermen cast with their right hands, then change the rod to their left hand so their right hand is free to turn the reel handle? this "changing hands juggling act" gets even crazier if you add a tiller handle, wind, fish, waves etc. most tiller guys have the handle of their spinning reels on the left side, simply because it works better that way. lots of right handed pros use left handed reels for years. it's one of those tips they never give you. this year i finally switched over to a left handed bait caster after over 40 years of reeling right handed. too soon old...too late smart.
Old 08-29-2001, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Gord said it all! The only thing that I have a different point of view on is the line. I like the hi-vis part but, I HATE casting mono. I started with a baitcaster 5 years ago. Started with 25# XT. Backlash city. Switched to Fireline and that made a big difference, for me. I switched to a braid the next year and haven't looked back. Soft supple line is a big key. If you have big stiff mono on your spool it wants to jump right off and uncoil which puts you halfway to a backlash. Power Pro and Spiderwire are my favorites. Tuff line is nice for Muskies.

Practice, practice, practice. Thats the key. Just like most things.

Thumb the spool. That is how you prevent backlashes. When you get good you'll be able to start casting into the wind. Let your thumb hover over the spool. You can feel when the spool turns faster than the line is going out because the line starts to unwind but not leave the "cage". You can feel the loops with your thumb. Apply light pressure to slow, not stop, the spool down. Then let off. Repeat if necessary. Just before your lure touches down, or if you want to stop it early, stop the spool with your thumb.

Start left handed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why people switch hands is beyond me! You reel a spinning reel with your left hand. If a big fish is going to power you, and thats what you're fishing if you are fishing a baitcaster, I'd rather have my rod in my strong hand and my reel crank in my weak hand. I like to fish the same hands with with a baitcaster, spinning or fly rod. Consistency.

Abu Garcia. Reasonable price. Plenty of left handed models. Easily repairable. Easily modified. Readily available. Very durable. The 5501 is good for Bass and Northerns and occasional Muskie fishing. The 6501 is a good Muskie reel that will be just fine for Northerns and Bass. The C3 series is the workhorse for Abu. Great series. The C4 is geared higher and is a great reel for burning bucktails. I really prefer the C3's.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.