Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Nema 2000 Networking Question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

Default Nema 2000 Networking Question

I have 2 LCX 113s networked together with one GPS module (antena) mounted on the rear of the boat right above the transducer.

Can I add a second GPS module to the network (on the bow of the boat) and have one module in the "off" position and one turned "on" and select back and forth via a menu choice?

Would like to turn on the GPS module mounted right above the transon transducer when I am scouting structure from the drivers seat.

Once I am ready to chase those fish marks with the bow mount I would like to tell the LCX 113 mounted on the bow to use the GPS module I would mount right next to it up front to return to that way point.
Otherwise I have 21 feet of inacurracy (length of the boat) when I try and go back to that waypoint with the unit mounted on the bow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Keeper

Your EPE (estimated positional error) is usually going to be greater than 20' anyways. Meaning that when the GPS puck is located above your transducer on the transom, you are at best somewhere in a 20'radius from the puck...including the bow of your boat. So, while a good idea in theory, running two pucks is pointless. Running a transducer off your bow mount should be more useful for locating structure.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Keeper

I should also mention in reference to your original question that while I am not sure about the LCX units, with the HDS units you can select which GPS source (internal or external) each unit references. I would imagine the LCX units can also do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertan View Post
Your EPE (estimated positional error) is usually going to be greater than 20' anyways. Meaning that when the GPS puck is located above your transducer on the transom, you are at best somewhere in a 20'radius from the puck...including the bow of your boat. So, while a good idea in theory, running two pucks is pointless. Running a transducer off your bow mount should be more useful for locating structure.
With all due respect there is a big difference between 40 and 20the feet of error
Ice fishing has shown me the error is more like 3-12you feet
Old 04-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Keeper

Not 100% sure what you are getting at with the 20' vs. 40' comment, but I think I understand. If your unit is telling you your EPE is 20', which direction are you off? Yes, you are only 20' from your target (at worst). But since you don't know in which direction, all you know is it's somewhere within a 20' radius of your boat. I hope that makes sense, as that is how it was explained to me.

As for your EPE ice fishing, you may lock onto more satellites down there than I can up here. I have never seen anything near 3'...been around 15' lots. 15' is not that different from 20'.