Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Best boots for fly in? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-18-2014, 08:08 AM
Minnow

Default Best boots for fly in?

We'll be leaving on my third fly-in within the past 10 years in about 12 days. The first time water was over the dock and I spent a week with wet feet. The next time I took a pair of hunting boots that I sprayed well with water proofer. They lasted about 3-4 days and started leaking after a muddy portage. I have some tall Red Head Rubber boots but they don't provide the greatest fit so I'm on the hunt for the perfect waterproof boot. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 08:22 AM
Wallhanger

Rubber ones are about the only thing that will keep your feet dry. The problem is if it's hot or cold they can be uncomfortable. I used to take some boot covers. They were made of a water proof material and a rubber sole. They slipped over my boots and I only used them if it was raining. A little cumbersome but they were lightweight and I only used them when needed.

Otherwise, just plain old rubber boots are the best.

I used to waterproof the boots I wore and the other thing we all did was search around the cabin for some pieces of wood. Find a couple pieces of 2x6 or something like that and put it in the bottom of your boat. You can put your feet on that to keep them off the bottom of the boat which always had water in it.

Also, we always took battery powered fans. Otherwise you can't dry anything out. I used it to sleep better and if things got wet, some air flow dried them out faster.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

"ProLine" Black with redish bottom and top ring.

http://www.amazon.com/Line-121M-8-Ru...pro+line+boots

Buy them at Farm King or various stores. Reasonably priced, light weight, goes on and off easily. Several of us wear them all the time. They don't seem to get hot unless it is really hot out. Then I just kick them off and go barefoot. Probably should throw a cheap pair of deck shoes in the boat and not be barefoot around hooks and stuff.

When using a camp boat, which always seem to leak at least a little, the cool aluminum floor seems to keep my feet from getting hot.

They are good "chore" boots around home. I get several years out of each pair. Usually they will start to crack where our ankles pivot eventually. Very comfortable as they are not real stiff like others we have tried.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Minnow

Muck Boots! So comfortable, breathable, waterproof...well worth the price!
Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Minnow

Default Never Wet

Go for the most comfortable boot you own, and waterproof them;

http://www.amazon.com/BLOCK-Heavy-Du...ords=never+wet
Old 05-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Keeper

I have had a couple pair of the Bogs boots over the years for the exact reason Sin Or Swim mentioned.....water in the bottom of the boats while on a fly-in. I found the low cut slip ons perfect as they fit well and are an easy on and off without having to tie your boots up. They do make some that are higher cut if you need to wade into shallow water, but I haven't needed anything like that. Here is what I have.

http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/71465-974.html
Old 05-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Minnow

I have a pair of white rubber boots that are 12" high. They are made for saltwater fishing. I put them on when we start unloading the truck and don't take them off until we get the truck loaded on the way home. Feet stay dry and there is plenty of room in them to let air circulate or you can wear two pair of socks to keep your feet warm. One philosophy I go by on a fly-in trip is you are probably never more than a few feet from water the whole week! Wet feet are no fun!
Old 05-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Minnow

Many Thanks Folks! I think I'll try the muck boots. I'm looking for lightweight and a better fit. Bum knee gets sore wearing the tall rubber ones I have now. Thanks for the replies.My 3 year old likes the smilies!
Old 05-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Wallhanger

Default socks

You may also want to try goretex socks in any boot they will keep your feet dry even in sneakers
Old 05-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Wallhanger

My favorite boat/camp boot for 25+ years has been the 10" uninsulated pac boot. LL Bean made them famous years ago, but Cabelas sells them at 1/2 the price. Get the 8" or 10", uninsulated. Feet are always dry, don't get too hot, an extra pair of socks if it's really cold, comfortable. If you get a good fit, they're good for short hikes to portage lakes. Light weight.

I just retired a pair I've worn for more than 20 years and will break in the new pair next week. These boots and a pair of sneakers will cover any situation on your fly-in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PAC boots.png
Views:	171
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	89057