Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Yamaha 9.9 Vs Merc 9.9 kicker - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 01-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Minnow

Default Yamaha 9.9 Vs Merc 9.9 kicker

Looking at adding a kicker motor to my Crestliner 17' Superhawk. I have a Yamaha 90 hp 2 stroke now. Gas line hookup? Whick side of the boat works the best for a kicker? Any info would be helpfull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Wallhanger

Buy the one with the biggest diameter prop, and prefferably of the same shaft length as your main engine for backtrolling. It's function requires torque, not speed.
I run my kicker with a tiller handle, so I mount it on the left side. My rear batteries are under the right side of the splashwell for balance.
I learned long ago that it's possible to get really stale gasoline at a rural station, so I use a portable tank for my kicker. It brought me back to my trailer when my main engine's fuel system plugged. The little tank also fits under the splashwell.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

I would go w/ the Yamaha just because it matches. I have had both brands of kickers and both were flawless engines. I run tiller w/ a tie rod to main motor. Using it both ways. It is mounted on the starboard side. It seems to be out of the way more when landing fish and puts the tiller handle in a better position when operating the motor w/ the tiller handle. I balance the weight by having a 31 series battery & 4 bank charger under the port console. Location is a personal preference. Before installing just hang the kicker on either side and go w/ what feels right to you. Enjoy your time on the water !!