Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Spearing Waves - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post
There will never be a clear cut answer here because everyones definition of "waves" is different. Conditions will never be the same and drivers will never be the same.

I have talked to guys at the launch coming in when we are heading out to salmon fish. They will say "we came in because of the 4'ers out there" Funny that when we get out there they are more like 2'ers. Most poeple just do not understand how big an actual 4'-5' roller is.

-Eli

THANK YOU!
i could not agree more, its just like telling fish stories, the fish and waves get bigger every time the story is told.

my pro-v has never seen a wave come over the bow while trolling, but while under power, i can't say the same thing. anyone who has ever fished the lower end on oahe in 25-35mph winds can't tell me they didnt get wet on the boat ride back unless it was a south wind and you were fishing the dam.

to the OP, when you find a boat that never gets wet while trolling, or under power, please let me know. i think your best bet is going to be a baron with an 84 inch shaft minn kota with 185 ft/lb, 60 volt motor to hold it onto a spot
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Wallhanger

Default 215x

ive never taken a wave over the bow if the Triton 215Xseries SO FAR!!!. i guess im not sure how you guys measure waves but ive had it on Fort Peck in MT when the waves were big enough to make land disappear when you fell into the troughs. from the bottom of the trough to the top of the waves ill guess they were 6-7'!! biggest water ive got caught in!! and the last time ill say to **** with the Lake wind advisory! the was roughly a 35ish MPH North West wind. i just thank god the ramp was south of me!

Kid
Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Keeper

Quote:
I have talked to guys at the launch coming in when we are heading out to salmon fish. They will say "we came in because of the 4'ers out there" Funny that when we get out there they are more like 2'ers. Most poeple just do not understand how big an actual 4'-5' roller is.

-Eli
Which is 8-10' from trough to crest based on your definition?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Keeper

There is a fine line between fishability and a comfortable ride in big water. With a 27' Sportcraft I can probably barrel into huge waves and never spear a wave or get wet, but if I tried to backtroll and work a weedline in 2 ft waves I could probably never do it. On the other end of that in 2 ft waves I can work a weedline perfect in a tiller or low profile boat (Ranger) with no problems. With that same boat I might get wet or spear a wave or two, but I still feel plenty safe out there.

I have driven or ridden in many different walleye boats and we have speared waves at speeds of 2 mph and 15-25 mph. It happens.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311Hemi View Post
Which is 8-10' from trough to crest based on your definition?
?? No. Roller as in great lakes non white cap waves. 4-5 ' from crest to trough.

-Eli
Old 07-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Keeper

Quote:
?? No. Roller as in great lakes non white cap waves. 4-5 ' from crest to trough.

-Eli
Got cha....I misunderstood.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Wallhanger

I accept that all boats will spear waves and get wet under the right conditions. It just seems like Rangers are more likely to do so by the posts that I've read. I'd hate to spend that much money on a boat to find out I'm constantly taking water over the bow. That's all. For some, it's no big deal. For me, it would be.

Does the Ranger 1860 or Reatta have the same problem as the 620's or is their different hull less likely to spear waves?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaR View Post
I accept that all boats will spear waves and get wet under the right conditions. It just seems like Rangers are more likely to do so by the posts that I've read. I'd hate to spend that much money on a boat to find out I'm constantly taking water over the bow. That's all. For some, it's no big deal. For me, it would be.

Does the Ranger 1860 or Reatta have the same problem as the 620's or is their different hull less likely to spear waves?
You should take a look at a WX series Skeeter.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
I call that 1 foot to 1.5 maybe. Try a 5 foot wave of water curled like in ocean
agreed. that is 10-15mph winds out near whitlock i believe. thats not even near the big water towards the lower end of the res.