Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
FLW the only one??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 12-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Unhappy FLW the only one???

I looked at every major tournament I could find to see if any left Sunday open for driving home. The only one I found was the FLW.

It's kind of a bummer for guys who have to drive long distances. I really don't understand why more big two day tournaments circuits don't have them on Friday and Saturday. I think most people come early anyway so it's not like they are not going to be there. It is also nice to have one day of competition without weekend traffic. Best of all it gives those who travel a long way the time to get home for the beginning of the work week.

I am curious as to why more big tournaments don't have them on Friday and Saturday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texeye View Post
I looked at every major tournament I could find to see if any left Sunday open for driving home. The only one I found was the FLW.

It's kind of a bummer for guys who have to drive long distances. I really don't understand why more big two day tournaments circuits don't have them on Friday and Saturday. I think most people come early anyway so it's not like they are not going to be there. It is also nice to have one day of competition without weekend traffic. Best of all it gives those who travel a long way the time to get home for the beginning of the work week.

I am curious as to why more big tournaments don't have them on Friday and Saturday?
A simple answer is a lot of tournaments rely on local volunteers to help put on the show. Tough to get volunteers on weekdays.
NPAA #499
Old 12-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Slot Fish

Most non touring events also focus on local anglers. Offering two day events on Saturday and Sunday allow locals to fish the events on days that most people are already off. Some one day events are held on Sundays for the same reason. Anglers can pre-fish Saturday without having to use as much vacation time. If I'm within a few hours of home, I prefer a Sunday event, because I can just take a Friday off and still get a couple days of pre-fishing in. If I have to cross several states, I prefer to be driving home Saturday night so I have Sunday to unwind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I guess some of this makes sense but sure seems like MWC and some of the other bigger tournaments would definitely draw more entrants. I know it keeps quite a few teams in the south from participating. It is also the difference between being able to fish a complete circuit and having to pick and choose different ones based on how far you can drive in a night to get back home.

I sure do like the South Dakota tournaments being held there this year. If we leave Mobridge after a tournament and drive all night we can get in just in time to shower and go to work, so maybe there is hope
Old 12-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Slot Fish

Default Hang in there

Hang in there Texeye... I know I do certainly have a ton of respect for you guys that travel so far. It really is a catch 22 for all of the people running tournaments... What works for someone else then would not work for the next person ... However there is never anything wrong with input for tournament directors or and as far as the MWC goes, they have like people from the area as advocates or liason or whatever it might be called. For MWC West I know that Jason Coestner, and Brian G? They would have a direct line to the tournament decision board. Looking forward to seeing you again this year.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Pro Veeee

Quote:
Seems that I remember the AIM tournaments having a travel day after words.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, I guess some of this makes sense but sure seems like MWC and some of the other bigger tournaments would definitely draw more entrants. I know it keeps quite a few teams in the south from participating. It is also the difference between being able to fish a complete circuit and having to pick and choose different ones based on how far you can drive in a night to get back home.

I sure do like the South Dakota tournaments being held there this year. If we leave Mobridge after a tournament and drive all night we can get in just in time to shower and go to work, so maybe there is hope
MWC events on big water allow for a blow day. Those schedule Fri/Sat as fish days and only fishing Sunday if weather became an issue. Those early starts cut into my prefishing so I ended up a day earlier to start, not really saving me any time.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Unless you take the entire week before to pre-fish, why not take Monday off instead of one of the days earlier in the week? Just thinking out loud. I understand if you're taking an entire week.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I understand where you are comming from. I think things might be different if 50% of the circuit participants were driving from more than 500 miles like you'all. If I recall the majority of the field from last year were from ND, SD, and MN. Not more than a hand full of teams from any other single state after that. A few from all others.

I know many guys wouldnt be able to take more vacation if we moved it off the weekends.
NPAA #499
Old 01-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiz View Post
Unless you take the entire week before to pre-fish, why not take Monday off instead of one of the days earlier in the week? Just thinking out loud. I understand if you're taking an entire week.
Most employers make you start your vacation on Monday and take one week at a time. Some companies don't allow split vacations so unless you work some type shift work most weekly workers can't get the following Monday off unless you take another full week of vacation.

Taking the full week before as most do, still gives you 4 to 5 days of pre-fishing.