Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Our Fishing Club has been holding a Walleye Contest the first weekend in June for over 15 years. It is currently a two day tourney, $200 entry, guaranteed $4000 first place, payback to about 15 place - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2001, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Our Fishing Club has been holding a Walleye Contest the first weekend in June for over 15 years. It is currently a two day tourney, $200 entry, guaranteed $4000 first place, payback to about 15 place

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2001, 05:45 AM
A question

Default Your tourney

Is this tourney a fund raiser for the club? I chose the 10 dollar incriment payback. I would suggest a slightly lower payback for 1st place, say 3,500 then drop 2nd to 2,500 then ramp down in 10 dollar incriments to 40th place. To attract more anglers, and have a real local impact, take the extra monies saved and donate, say 10 dollars from every entry fee, to a local charity. Childrens hospitals or childhood cancer/luekemia centers are always in need of cash, and it is for a great cause. However, do not donate to these charities only in an effort to increase the size of your tourney field, that is shallow and self serving and anglers will see right through it.
Old 10-15-2001, 07:21 AM
Fish-on

Default RE: Your tourney

None of your options increase the number of places that are paid. I would suggest that you consider paying to 20 or 25 places. If teams have a shot at getting their entry fee back for say 20th place, it will increase participation, all other things being equal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2001, 07:48 AM
Minnow

We have a local tourney up here that is also the first week end in June and is filled every year. The field had been 100 teams and was moved to 110 this last year. The field was filled in less than two and half weeks. There was about 20-30 extra teams. The payout is down to 25th place with a $2000 or $2500 first, I cann't remember. The 15th -25th is $250. The entry is $220 per team. This is also a fund raiser for our local walleye club. Fish-on is right in that the more places you pay back the more teams you seem to get, better chance of getting your money back. Just my opinion.
Old 10-15-2001, 08:04 AM
Eyewitness

Default Timing.....

The first part of June seems to be the preferred time for serious fisher folks to take fishing vacation time, which doesn't lend itself to going to fish tourneys. Releasing fish would be easier though with the cooler water at that time of year, so I can see the benefit of that plus the bigger weigh ins are more exciting. Where is your tourney being held? Perhaps having it somewhere that folks could tie in a vacation around would be appropriate.
Old 10-15-2001, 12:52 PM
Minnow

Default RE: Timing.....

make your contest run longer say 5 days and up the top prizes. we run ours four 9 days and pay out 200 places - biggest fish top place 15,000 down to 50 dollars. it works we get about 2,000 entered.
Old 10-15-2001, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

I am in the same club as Jeff.

There are a couple things to look at when designing a good tournament.
1) How is it run. Is it efficient and no hastly. Is there good lodging. Is there good boat access?
2)You need a strong leader,director to enforce the rules.
3)Good workers make things go smooth.
4)People like to be winners. 25% payback of the field makes everyone happy. 1/4 get their money back.
5)Everyone wants to have a good time.
6)Quality of fishing is the last.
7)We have a banquet the night before at the rules meeting. Prime Rib Dinner, mmmm good. This is included in the entry fee.
NPAA #499
Old 10-16-2001, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Follow-up details

Thanks for some good comments already...This is the main fundraiser for the club-monies are spent on Youth fishing education, rearing ponds, access lights, and other fishing related projects. Please comment and Vote.