Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Drotto Hook - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 01-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

If you don't want to put extensions on the transom trailer tie down points, you can beef up the transom straps.

Just take the straps to any canvas shop and have them sew about 4 layers of webbing over the existing strap on the side of the strap that is getting ripped up. These additional layers will toughen and stiffen the straps and make them home up better to the wear that they are being subjected.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2017, 06:58 AM
Wallhanger

I would be concerned about two things if you can't move the winch stand: 1) The change in toungue weight when you move the boat back a few inches with the Drotto. It may lead to instabiltiy while trailering. 2) My transom sits with in 1/2" of the end of the bunk. I realize you can move the bunk, but my bunk end has a verticle structural support directly under it supporting the transom. Moving the transon off that support a couple inches does not sound ideal! I have 250hp Verado sitting on the transom and want maximum support under that piece of transom wood when trailering.

Marty

Last edited by Marty59; 01-26-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post
I would be concerned about two thing if you can't move the winch stand: 1) The change in toungue weight when you move the boat back a few inches with the Drotto. It may lead to instabiltiy while trailering. 2) My transom sits with in 1/2" of the end of the bunk. I realize you can move the bunk, but my bunk end has a verticle strural support directly under it supporting the transom. Moving the tramson off that support a couple inches does not sound ideal!

Marty
I think that for those that have concerns such as Marty59's, a simple call to the manufacturer would clear them up.

andersaki
Old 01-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Keeper

Anybody put one on a Warrior yet? My Warrior rides the bow roller hard when loading. Poorly designed trailer......it's an '02 so not the new company to blame.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNKBT ADDCT View Post
My Warrior rides the bow roller hard when loading.
Could you explain that ?? I don't understand . Sorry.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:05 PM
Keeper

When I load the boat the bow of the boat contacts the bow roller long before the bow hook is up against the roller. It probably rides in the bow rolle 3-4 inches before the hook is where it needs to be. You can tell it rides on it harder than it should as there are some rub marks on the bow where it does it. It's a ***** at a steep ramp. The Drotto would be awesome just concerned about the bow of the boat riding on it. I like the Ranger version of the Drotto but I think my roller is the wider one not the 3" like the ranger. I will have to go to where it's stored and measure my roller
Old 01-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

Could you post a side view photo of the boat against the bow roller ? The Drotto will / should eliminate any part of the bow from riding on anything.
I have a Drotto on my trailer and it is awesome. I did have to lower the location of the bow roller bracket on the winch stand to enable the Drotto to engage the bow hook. I also had to move the winch stand forward a about an inch and a half to keep the boat transom on the rear rollers of my roller bunks.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Keeper

Ok. So I made it out to look at my boat where it is store. My blood pressure is lower now . I took some pics of the above mentioned scenario. It actually rides a little more than I thought judging by the rub marks. This is pretty much how it looked when I bought it years ago

Any thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1006.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	495.1 KB
ID:	241225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1005.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	492.2 KB
ID:	241233  
Old 02-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNKBT ADDCT View Post
Ok. So I made it out to look at my boat where it is store. My blood pressure is lower now . I took some pics of the above mentioned scenario. It actually rides a little more than I thought judging by the rub marks. This is pretty much how it looked when I bought it years ago

Any thoughts.
I'm curious how far you have your trailer in the water when you're loading. I've never seen that happen on any boat if the trailer is at the proper depth. Are you going deeper than just getting the tops of the tires lapped by the water?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinFreaks View Post
I'm curious how far you have your trailer in the water when you're loading. I've never seen that happen on any boat if the trailer is at the proper depth. Are you going deeper than just getting the tops of the tires lapped by the water?
I agree. It appears the trailer isn't going deep enough.
It could be that the bow roller is too high and is actually lifting some of the weight of his boat off of the bunks.
The boat shouldn't be riding the bow roller that much.