Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Removing hitch from tow vehicle - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Wallhanger

My neighbor had one of those drop hitches that was about 3" lower than his receiver. He always scraped the bottom of his driveway when trailering. So one day he decides he's going to free it from his 2000 Dodge Ram. I took a keen interest in watching each of his adventures:

1) First was a large sledge hammer. It was 90 degrees by noon, so he was dripping pretty good after 30-40 whacks.
2) Next was oil and heat. He had the penetrating oil and heat gun. No progress made. But more sweaty than ever
3) Next he hooked up his truck to his Dodge Caravan, hitch to hitch with a tow strap. Of course it pulled his Caravan across his driveway in park. Had to have been painful for that mini-van.
4) By this time I had to grab a beer, this was ENTERTAINMENT! Without asking another neighbor, he hooked up his Ram to this other guys Norway Pine that was 18-24" trunk diameter. That tree was bending pretty good with branches falling out. Finally snapped his nice tow strap. Luckily no one got hurt on that one.

Finally he gave up. I learned 2 things. Dodge trucks with 5.9L motors have a lot of low end torque. And second, take the 15 seconds to remove your hitch after each use. I've never felt like it was time wasted for my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement