Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Slow Death Rig or Spinner Rig??? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Wallhanger

Call it whatever....looks tantalizing to me.
https://youtu.be/eYEJ_JuAx04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye.bill View Post
Call it whatever....looks tantalizing to me.
https://youtu.be/eYEJ_JuAx04
Exactly, I have been using tru turn hooks on my spinner rigs since 2000, well before the slow death hook was an idea. the tru turn has a different bend but the action is very similar if not the same. I use them with minnows, crawlers and leeches, all with success. Just because it is SUPPOSED to work one way doesn't mean it will not work in an unintended consequence. That's why it's called fishing, not catching, sometimes new tactics and presentations work better than some of the tried and true. That's why the tackle companies come out with new colors and styles every year, but then again they are not about catching fish, they are about catching fishermen.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Wallhanger

There's an article in the most recent issue of In-Fisherman magazine (July 2017) - "The Latest Spin on Slow-Death Rigging" that summarizes different rigging options and hook choices with photographs of several different combinations/variations of the rig set-up. An interesting read.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
There's an article in the most recent issue of In-Fisherman magazine (July 2017) - "The Latest Spin on Slow-Death Rigging" that summarizes different rigging options and hook choices with photographs of several different combinations/variations of the rig set-up. An interesting read.
Thanks nice article. New ideas are welcome. Bob
Old 06-18-2017, 09:55 PM
Keeper

Default I'll use Slow death only when they're not hitting the spinners

I find it such a pain to thread the worms on those hooks that I much prefer using a classic 2 octopus hook crawler harness whenever I can get away with it. If they're not hitting the spinners I'll try SD.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Wallhanger

I've been tying rigs with a slow death hook, three beads, a smile blade, and another bead. The smile blade spins at slower speeds, which is what you want from the slow death hook. Seemed to work well for me last weekend.

SkWalter

Instagram: @harderoutdoors
Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Keeper

Does anyone think slow death hooks outperform other hooks? I don't have a large sample size but I can't say that I have seen a difference. Every time I go with one group, at least one or 2 have slow death hooks and they don't outfish me at any glaring level with my Gamakatsu octopus hooks. If it was 10 to 1, I would see a pattern but 10 to 8 and I have the biggest, that's just fishing.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:59 PM
Slot Fish

New to spinners and slow death rigs. Are you trolling them with bottom bouncers our lead core? I have drug spinners with bottom bouncers using my trolling motor but that was usually very slow. Any help would be great, Thanks
Old 06-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshusker View Post
New to spinners and slow death rigs. Are you trolling them with bottom bouncers our lead core? I have drug spinners with bottom bouncers using my trolling motor but that was usually very slow. Any help would be great, Thanks
I use bottom bouncers mostly .9 to 1.4 mph
Old 06-23-2017, 12:27 PM
Wallhanger

I've been running slow deaths and regular crawler harnesses side by side for past few years. I would say my hook up rate favors slow death prolly 60% to 40%. I've run slow deaths on bottom bouncers and planer boards. I also usually run a bare slow death hook on a leader and do very well with it. My only issue with slow death is one bump on bottom or small fish takes a swipe at it and it is instantly worthless (if its not spinning you can drag it all day and nothing will bite it). They are VERY sensitive to how the worm is threaded on the hook and takes easily 2-3x as long to re bait than a standard rig. I've also found the back half of the worm is almost completely useless to try and rig on a slow death. I've come home many days with a worm container full of "half worms", but they do produce so I keep using them.