Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Prop for 1775 progude and 90 four stroke. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Slot Fish

Default Prop for 1775 progude and 90 four stroke.

Buying a used 2015 lund pro guide with a 90 4S. The existing prop is the stock mercury spitfire aluminum prop. The prop has a lot of dings so can't use it as a baseline. Looking for advice oa a stainless pro for the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

Rfish,
I suggest you purchase a new or borrow an aluminum prop in good shape of potentially the correct size.

Put it on your boat and see how it performs.

The performance with a good aluminum prop and a good stainless prop are going to be nearly identical.

However, you buy longivity and toughness with a stainless prop and that is one of the main reasons that I almost always run stainless props.

With a 90 hp 4-stroke on that 1775 boat, I would suggest that you start with a 15 pitch, 14 inch diameter 3 blade aluminum and go from there.

There are many other props that might work on this rig, but this would be a good starting point to give you a good hole shot and the ability to move this big rig with the motor that is mounted on the transom.

You need to be able to spin up that engine to 6000 rpm when running wide open. Hence my suggestion to start with a 3 blade, and a 15 pitch prop on the rig

Too many folks jump on the idea of using a 4 blade prop and or a prop like a 19 pitch 3 blade prop on the rig and wonder why the boat never performs up to expectations when they can only turn 4800 rpm because of the big boat and the heavy engine load from the prop.

Find the prop that moves the rig but lets the engine turn up to its rated 6000 rpm and you will be close to your best prop.

Once you have found your best aluminum prop - spending minimum money - you can then find a similar stainless prop and be pretty sure that you are going to have comparable performance.

Good luck
Old 06-19-2017, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

A mercury motor performance report with a similar boat and engine using a
13x17 4 blade aluminum prop:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...units=imperial
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Slot Fish

Default prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
A mercury motor performance report with a similar boat and engine using a
13x17 4 blade aluminum prop:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...units=imperial
Thanks for the info, you gave me a few places to look.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Slot Fish

talk to Ricky the Propmann on WC. He helped me with my 1725 Pro Guide and the difference is amazing with the prop he suggested.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:27 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Eyeballs? View Post
talk to Ricky the Propmann on WC. He helped me with my 1725 Pro Guide and the difference is amazing with the prop he suggested.
Thanks I will